Wednesday, May 22, 2024

I’m going to miss my daily strawberries

There are still some strawberries coming on, but not as many, and a lot of them are small berries.  After getting several freezer bags of them put up for later, I’ve shared with relatives.  Grandson Arick always sees that we get plenty of morel mushrooms, so I’ve given him some.  I told my oldest granddaughter if she’d come and pick, she could have them.  She ended up with a lot of them.  I’ve given some to our daughter, too.  I imagine by the weekend they’ll be done.  Now I’m looking forward to some fresh tomatoes in another month or so.  Most of the plants have fruits on them.


I’m pretty sure I could find enough new potatoes in the garden to make creamed peas and potatoes, but the peas aren’t ready yet.  I have a few green bean plants that are above ground, but it will be awhile.  I just hope all the tomato plants stay healthy!  So far, so good.  Tomatoes are the reason I garden at all, and they haven’t always prospered in my garden.

Take a look at my cat, Blue:  He is totally under the influence of catnip.  I had to put a protective shield around the herb because otherwise he lays down and rolls on it all day, so much that he had almost killed it.


A while back Cliff and I together counted how many tractors he’s owned in his life, many of them that he brought back to life after they had been rusting away for years.  There are a few on the list that he sold without fixing them, just so he’d have the funds for a better one.  They are in no particular order.  I’m sure this will not mean anything to my readers, but I wanted to have it in my blog somewhere, so here it is.  I think I counted 40 tractors.

one Minneapolis Moline “R”;  8N Ford; five 550 Olivers; two Super 55 Olivers; two Farmall “H”; three Farmall M;  two John Deere;  one John Deere “A”; two Allis Chalmers D-17;  one WC Allis Chalmers; one Farmall Cub;  two Super C Farmalls; one Ford 331; one Allis Chalmers WC road grader; one 520 John Deere; one David Brown tractor; one 1855 Oliver; two 1655 Olivers; three 1650 Olivers; one John Deere 4400 (the one he uses for everything); one White 2-85; one almost new 75 horsepower John Deere, 5075E that he didn’t like, so he sold it for a nice profit; one Ford 951; two 880 Olivers, one diesel and one gas; one Super 88; one Ford 3600  

This is about the most tractors we ever had at one time

9 comments:

  1. I'm a bit jealous. We just set out our tomatoes last week so we have a long way to go before we even have fruit. I got them planted way late in the greenhouse this year. But I bet we have some new potatoes too though I haven't dug any at this point.

    I recognize all the brands of tractors though I'm not familiar with many of the models. Our farm was strictly John Deere since our nearest dealers were John Deere and all the models were much bigger than what Cliff fixes up. We did have an old 5/20 John Deere that I loved to drive but it was sold at the equipment sale after mom died and dad retired from farming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't grow my own tomato plants; I got my plants when we went to the Amish place in Jamesport. They were fairly large when I got them, but they didn't do much of anything until after all the cold, hail, and winds that damaged them.

      Delete
  2. The video of Blue is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of tractors! My oldest grandson would love to hang out with them. (although he's a bit more into trains and construction equipment these days) I will get a few strawberries in a month or so. I also used to grow tomatoes but got blight one year, which discouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad started collecting tractors around 2000 and after he passed away in 2009, my brother and nephew just kept collecting. I asked them how many they had and the answer was "3 more than will fit in the quonset hut" .. I don't think they really know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:57 PM

    Cliff couldhave had his own tractor show with all those. Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of tractors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a lot! For some reason I kept hearing "And a partridge in a pear tree" as I was reading that list of tractors that Cliff has owned!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The list of Cliff's tractors had my mind singing, " and a partridge in a pear tree" when I got through it! hehehe😁

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!