Thursday, February 10, 2022

I am SO ready for spring

Yesterday I found myself looking online at the offerings of Burpee Seed Company, while wondering when onion sets and seed potatoes will show up locally.  I don't buy seeds from Burpee because the postage is ridiculously high, and you have to order $75 worth of seeds before the postage isn't charged.  But it is still fun to look at the pictures; I can almost taste the tomatoes!

I can't complain about our weather:  It's been sunny and pleasant all week, but it sure is giving me spring fever.  We went shopping today, and I spent most of what was left of my monthly grocery allotment at Aldi.  I got grapes, strawberries, blueberries, avocados, plus four big mangoes as a treat for myself; Cliff will enjoy the blueberries in his cereal.  It's going to be awhile before those mangoes ripen, though.  When I'm at Aldi, I end up buying more produce than anything else.

I went in Oak Grove Walmart to get two items, then to a store a couple of blocks from Walmart that had ground beef in 1-pound packages for $2.77 a pound.  Last week I bought two 10-pound rolls of ground beef for $2.97 per pound, so I have enough for a while.  I was told those 10-pound rolls are from other countries, but today I looked at the ones I bought last week and found out those animals were born, raised, and harvested in the United States.  You can see that info on the upper left-hand corner of the picture I took, above the safe handling instructions in very tiny letters.   

Anyway.  Next Wednesday I'll start the rotation again with funds from Social Security, and we'll make the money allotted for groceries last for thirty days once again.  In spite of runaway inflation, so far I'm using the same amount for groceries as I did before; I'm just a lot more careful, and I'm considering carefully whether something I want is worth the cost.  I'm also staying away from Amazon, with all their temptations and bargains.  And so it goes.  


11 comments:

  1. The upcoming weather here is supposed to be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen veggies sometimes are processed and grown in other countries as well which is just dumb in my opinion. I don't buy them. I'd rather have them fresh but sometimes I like a good frozen corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather is relatively mild but I'm still ready for spring although the weeds are already growing in an overwhelming way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing saving my grocery bill is just buying via pick up. If I go in the store, impulse buys bury me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am ready for Spring but it's only February and we may have more snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, tonight we are having a brief return to winter: Temperatures in the teens. Then it gets warm again.

      Delete
  6. I’ve been to a lot of other countries and have never seen cattle raised for beef on scales large enough to export. Most of what I see is milked, used to pull equipment through fields or personal consumption when it can’t do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Born & raised in a CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation), no doubt. *sigh* I'm not sure which is worse... raised overseas or here, using so-called "modern" husbandry practices. Ugh! In all good conscience I can't patronize either one. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most ground beef comes from retired Holstein milk cows.

      Delete
  8. Just today I was scoping out some spots for my garden beds. I prefer fresh vegetables, but I freeze some of the ones I grow. We will have to think about purchasing a freezer here and a shed to house it. Nothing better than fresh out of your own garden. Ground beef used to be the cheap meat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So ready for spring also :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!