Monday, February 14, 2022

Happy Valentine's Day

Cliff and I don't worry about gift-giving, even on most holidays.  And to me, one of the silliest holidays ever drummed up by anyone is Valentine's Day, unless we're talking about children young enough to enjoy getting a lot of nice heart-shaped cards and candies.  I used to hint for a box of chocolates, just because I like them so much; but now, you can buy a huge box of valentine candy and there's mostly air inside it... air and dividers that are supposed to make it look like there's a lot of candy in said box, and about five candies.  I told him the other day some nice, cheap(er) chocolate cherries would be great, if he wanted to get me anything.

So this morning when I got out of bed and came through the living room, what should I see but a heart-shaped box of Russell Stover candy!  Cliff usually takes me at my word and doesn't bother with Valentine's Day, and I must say, it was a nice surprise to me, waking up and seeing it on a chair.  When a gift comes out of the blue when I'm not expecting it, it's always prized.  He also got a pretty Valentine card with the usual sappy but sweet sentiments on it, then added some of his own... and the card wasn't just one of the nice, fifty-cent ones from Dollar General; it was made by Hallmark.  So I didn't chide him for buying a big heart-shaped box with only eight candies in it.  It was a surprise to me, and I love surprises!  If I had expected one, it wouldn't be as special.  I don't think anyone should have to buy a gift for someone just because they think they have to. 

Moving right along, most years on Valentine's Day, I go to Google trying to find a song I heard on the radio in the fifties:  "I'd Like to Trade My Heart for a Paper Valentine".  I've never found anyone else who has heard of the song, but I know it played several times on WHB, Kansas City's most popular music station back then.  I liked the song so well, I memorized it and still remember all of it.  I seemed to remember once recording myself singing it for my blog, but couldn't find it in a Google search, nor even on a search of the blog.  

Imagine my surprise when I went to Youtube and there I was at the top of the list, singing the song as I played with my dog, three years ago.  So if anyone else in the world recalls the sing from their childhood, they can at least listen to my pathetic video and know they didn't imagine the song.


A reader, Ed, found the song by the Mills Brothers!  The name of the song is simply "Paper Valentine", and I was typing the whole sentence "I'd Like to Trade My Heart For a Paper Valentine".  Thanks, Ed!  It was from 1954, when I was 10 years old.  My mom worked in Eagleville, and I had the job of doing the dishes before she came home.  While I washed dishes, I listened to WHB from Kansas City.

12 comments:

  1. I googled just the words "Paper Valentine" and found three other versions. Perhaps one of these is the one you remember from your youth.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPquK5tz-E0 by the Mills Brothers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89WFZRhSoxk by the Crackerjacks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZuqUW9AtE by Diana Decker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only listened to the first one, the one by the Mills Brothers. But that's it! I guess I was just typing in too many words as the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that if you googled the lyrics the title would come up. Maybe Google isn't as smart as I think. :) What a lovely surprise from Cliff! I got a yummy breakfast casserole but no card which is all I ever want. John is affectionate and kind although he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was sure I'd find it somewhere. Sometimes if I don't know the name of a song, I just google a line or two from the song and it always comes up. I think it's because the lyrics aren't written anywhere online, and Google doesn't listen to songs, it only reads words written. I'll go see if I can find lyrics now.

      Delete
    2. Nope, can't find lyrics of it anywhere online.

      Delete
  4. My Valentine and I just listened to you and the Mills Bothers sing! A nice ending to a lovely dinner at a rib house. Thanks!! We were born in 1953, but I have heard it before on an oldies station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was sweet of Cliff. The best gifts are the ones you don't expect.
    Haven't heard that song before but enjoyed your version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, such a treat today. I love when you share your songs with us. Cliff is more than a paper valentine for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, girl.... I could listen to you sing all day long! Thanks for sharing and enjoy those chocolates! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a sweet and thoughtful thing for Cliff to do!! It's extra special because of it being such a sweet surprise! I'm so happy for you Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps....love your singing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been pining for you to play the guitar and record “Hallelujah, I’m a Bum”. I think you could sing it great. Do you know the song. Here’s a link. https://youtu.be/8uKbIkYGsIg

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!