Friday, September 04, 2020

I've figured out what I want on my tombstone

I've been trying to figure out what sort of message I want on my headstone for a long time.  I've thought about having a picture of a Jersey cow on it, since they are one of my favorite things.  Or maybe a picture of my Gibson Dove guitar, my most prized possession... even though my guitar-playing skills are minimal.  And then I think of quotes that might remind folks of me:  "Beware of any enterprise which requires new clothes" was one I thought about, since I lived most of my life in jeans, T-shirts, and sweat pants... but my wardrobe is slightly better now, sometimes.  I can't recall many of the ideas I had, but there were a lot of them.  

This morning I was telling Cliff I got locked out of my online banking and had to call the bank for help; I had tried logging in with the wrong password too many times.  We hashed it over, my husband and I.  You'd think, since Apple makes long, complicated, safe passwords and even remembers them for me, that I'd have no trouble.  A password you've made on one Apple product is understood by other Apple products, so I get my new password and it works on both the MacBook and the iPad.  Usually; although there are times when "user error" can't even manage that!  However, my Samsung cell phone doesn't get the message.  I can't just copy down the crazy-long password Apple gives me and type it in as my Samsung password... because it doesn't allow passwords that long!  Don't tell me I need to get an iPhone; I hate that I even have to HAVE a cell phone.  I paid $250 for the Samsung, and as phones go, I like it OK... but I seldom use it unless I have to call somebody... usually some necessary call:  the bank, a doctor, my hairdresser... and once in awhile I talk to my sister (sure wish it was safe to go visit people).  I do most of my "talking" in Instant Messenger, because I'd rather type than talk.  By the way, let me make up a password right now to show you what sort of mess it is to try and write down:  

tuzyoP-gibode-5oqids

They are all that same length.  If I have to try and type it in on a non-apple product, I must be VERY careful to write it all down properly to the last dash on a piece of paper.  Then I have to be careful typing it in the other device, so I do that with my index finger, choosing the keys carefully and watching the keyboard.  As I said before, Samsung won't accept passwords that long anyway, so any app owned by Google is useless because my password is too long, and if I change it on the phone, I have to go back and change it on the iPhone and MacBook.  Who needs email on the road anyhow?  I'm at home most of the time with my trusty iPad and the MacBook

So, back to my original thought about what I'll put on my headstone:

"I forgot my password."

Everyone can have fun with that as they pass by my grave, saying things like "password to where?".  Always leave 'em laughing, right?

Love,

Donna

PS:  I'm sure I'll think of something better than that eventually.  I may not even have a headstone, since I'm going to be cremated.

8 comments:

  1. Northern AB gal9:58 AM

    I don’t worry about that, my wishes are to be cremated and my ashes spread at a couple of specified locations. A long time ago I read an article that had suggestions for using passwords that one could remember and I’ve used it ever since. Hopefully you won’t have to worry about your headstone for a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *haha* The joys of technology... NOT! You're brave in even having a cell phone to begin with, Donna. You have my admiration. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are to funny I've ben locked out before too. I've learned to copy and paste the password so I don' t make the same mistake again. It's helped and I've not been locked out for a long time now. I'd love to do a funny headstone maker to make people smile when they walk by. Hopefully someone will remember how I love smiles. Something I need to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I intend to be cremated too and won't have a grave, just a niche with my name and dates of birth/death on it. Simple. Anyone who knows me will be able to think of sayings or things that remind them of me. Right now it would be, "Is your bathroom open?" I have a gray book with all my passwords in it. It's the only way I can keep track of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I will be cremated as well and would like my ashes to be spread in Yosemite and/or in the bay where I lived in Mexico. I have a book with all my passwords in it. I’m thinking about getting a universal password, but the thought sets my mind to spin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like my Bob, I want to be cremated and my ashes spread over to our church's campground where we spread my Bob's. I have the family plots but I suppose no one will use them. I have the paperwork in my file cabinet. My great grandfather bought that eight person plot and put a large headstone on it that read "Pitcock" his last name. He was buried there and my great grandmother is there too and my grandmother and grandfather are buried there. We also buried my aunt Mildred there. So there are three left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this made me smile. been through all the trouble you describe too. it becomes quite problematic, to be sure. i can't access my medical records cause they want me to change password every time i access them. then won't permit the new one. crazy, i tell you. your quote will be a great conversation started for sure. do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no reason why you can't have a headstone if you are going to be cremated. You can buy a plot, the cemetery will dig a hole for you, put your ashes in and a headstone. I went to a service at a cemetery that did that very thing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!