Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Can we talk?

It's been a day around here.  Cliff has decided to see if he can sell his 1855 Oliver, which means he needs my help putting pictures on various sites and writing ads about the tractor.  I always do this for him, since the only thing he knows how to do on a computer is surf and scroll down Facebook.  This time, though, he also wanted me to put the ad on a Facebook group.  That means in order for me to do it on my computer, I'd have to join the group and wait until they approved me.  It doesn't usually take long, but some groups take longer than others.  So I decided to put the tractor for sale using Cliff's  computer; I'd just post it in his group as though I were Cliff.  

Boy, was I wrong.  I use a Mac, he has a PC.  I have used Apple products for years now, and I've forgotten a lot about PCs.  The biggest problem is that everything looks different and works differently than it did when I used a PC (not to mention that Cliff recently went to the new, updated Facebook).  I put the card containing the Oliver pictures in the slot in his computer.  Nothing popped up to let me know I had done that, which seemed weird.  On the MacBook, as soon as I insert the card, my photos come up, and I work from there.  I did a search on my own computer asking how to download pictures from a card to a PC, got the directions, and failed again because I was apparently doing something wrong and it wasn't working for me.  Folks, if you want to get me in a bad mood, all you have to do is put me in the situation of fighting with a computer; it will ruin my whole day.  At least I got the tractor placed on Facebook Marketplace, but I left the letter "L" off the end of "model", and I can't figure out how to add the letter in.  When I click "edit", it only lets me edit the pictures, not the words.  And all this mess went on for over two hours, my frustration growing with every failed attempt.

Finally Cliff said, "Where could I go to get somebody to do this if I paid them?"  

Don't even ask me how I felt about that, but I gave him his answer very nicely.  "That would be your daughter, but I doubt if she'd take your money."  Rachel uses PC's, and she uses one all day at work.  I never ask her for help any more, but she's a daddy's girl.  She can put up with his ignorance better than she can with mine.  

Part of the reason I was getting so frustrated at the time spent on a failed project is that when I got up this morning, I had plans.  Last night I took a 10-pound bag of chicken legs and thighs out of the freezer to thaw.  This morning I planned to boil, debone, and dice the meat into two-cup portions to put in the freezer for various recipes I like; I also freeze the broth in two-cup portions.  It's a messy business, but well worth the effort.  The chicken was done cooking before Cliff got up, and then it had to cool down so I could handle it.  Also before Cliff got up, I put a load of clothes in the washer that I was going to hang on the line, it being a lovely, sunny day.  I had intended to get it hung out early, because there were two more loads to do.  All this went by the wayside while I struggled with a computer.  Oh, it all got done... well, I do have one more load of clothes to hang out, but I got the chicken worked up, made low-fat chicken gumbo with some of it, and heated up the green beans, new potatoes, and kielbasa left over from yesterday.  Get this:  By the time I cleaned up all the chicken mess and other dishes and pans, I had taken two hours to eat my meal.  I just kept stopping to take a bite, then went back to my work.  And yet?  I sure feel like I accomplished a lot today, so I'll focus on that.

As far as I know, there is nothing else today that I have to do.

Honestly, it's been a great day.  If I've been mad at anyone, it's myself, for not being able to figure out something that 8-year-olds know how to do these days.  In the Old Testament portion of my one-year Bible reading this morning I finished reading the book of Job; now THERE was a guy who knew what trouble was:  His kids were all dead, he was too sick to eat, his wife was telling him "curse God and die", and then all his friends came to visit and made him feel even worse with their drivel.  

Have a wonderful day.  I feel much better now.  

I should tell you that the only reason Cliff is trying to sell his favorite classic tractor is this:  If he gets his price for the Oliver, he wants to sell his little John Deere, the only tractor around here that is used almost every day, and get another John Deere like it except he wants the next size bigger; he thinks if he sold both, he's have enough money for what he wants.  If he didn't want that pretty badly, he'd never sell the 1855.  We are both pretty sentimental about it.

If you made it through reading this complaining mess, thanks for your patience.

Yours truly,

Donna 


7 comments:

  1. I'm an odd duck, and love venting posts. There is almost nothing that frustrates me more than things (like technology) that doesn't work or that I can't figure out. I have a PC laptop, but use an iPhone, which means I'm not great at either! Glad you got it figured out, mostly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Sounds like a horrible, no good, very bad day. Some days are like that. Except it ended up ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate frustrating days like that. My desktop loses the signal almost every day and I have to reboot it constantly to get it to find the signal. I need it because it is the computer hooked up to the printer. It's always a mess.

    I know how you must have felt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see how tht would be a frustrating day, but you did get a lot done. When it comes to technology I've found it is better to let the young folks do it for you. Saves a lot of needless work. on our part. Hope you have a better day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooooooh Donna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have absolutely positively NO IDEA what a horribly bad mood I get into when trying to do anything "technological" in nature and not knowing how to do it. OH. MY. WORD. I can so relate to this blog post. I don't have a cell phone, if that gives you any indication how much I dislike "technology". Pooey on it all!!!! My oldest daughter, the teckie one, says "Mom, you don't learn how to use a cell phone because you don't WANT to learn how to use a cell phone!"

    I look at her every time and say (rather loudly)... "BINGO!!!!!!"

    Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, so frustrating for sure. I am not very tech savvy either and my kids give me grief about it. Oh well. But, I'm happy you got the other chores all done for the day. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:30 PM

    Dee from Tennessee

    My day wasn’t as frustrating as yours but I got “ irritated” as Earnest T. Bass would say . I realized that , without my permission or approval , that somehow , someway , eBay wasn’t requiring me to sign in to use PayPal . Failing to find how and why via using eBay and PayPal sites , I finally had enough sense to google the question and finding the solution . After disabling that feature , I then check my email and find an email about it. Too little, too late ! I was as mad as a wet hen 😂. You got a lot accomplished !

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!