Monday, July 13, 2020

Nothing big to blog about

I stayed home from church yesterday because we had so many relatives gathered here a week ago; I feel pretty safe, but there's always the possibility of catching the coronavirus in any sort of crowd, and I'd hate to be the person who passed it on to others at church unknowingly.  Next Sunday two weeks will have gone by, so I should be fine going to church again.

We've had some awfully hot weather, but Friday the high was 88 with a mild breeze, so it was quite comfortable in the shade.  It's like that today, too.

So far I've kept up with my one-year Bible reading every day this year, leaving out the boring genealogies as I always do.  Today my New Testament reading started out with "Grace and peace unto you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ"; I grabbed onto those words, thinking Paul must have meant that greeting for me as well as the Romans he was writing to.  What a nice greeting it is.  I need all the grace and peace I can get.

I sure do miss my strolls in the pasture since my knees got to hurting so badly again.  I try to spend half an hour on the bicycle though, every day, but nothing equals the pleasure of walking.

We've stayed close to home in the past week.  Honestly, there's no place I want to go with everything closed down, although I daydream about trips to Arkansas or Colorado.  We had so much fun riding our motorcycle around Arkansas.  It's a beautiful state.

The kitten, Blue, is still lots of fun; the litter box, though, not so much.  The more he grows, the more enthusiastic he is about covering up his deposits; he tosses litter all over the back porch floor surrounding the box.  I'm hoping to get him totally outside within a couple of weeks.  He has access to the outdoors night and day now; most mornings, he is waiting at the front door when I get up and lets me know he wants inside with me and Gabe.  The two of them wrestle and play if I let him in, but I usually boot him out after 30 minutes because by that time, he's napping in Gabe's bed like he owns it.

Our son who visited has been on a different kind of diet for a few months and is losing quite a bit of weight:  He fasts one day, then eats anything he wants the next day.  He said it's the easiest diet he's ever tried.  Jim has the exact same body shape as my husband, so much so that if they are standing side by side with their backs to me, they look identical from the neck down.  Of course their contours are different now, since Cliff is 21 years ahead of him in the aging process.  Now Cliff has been inspired to lose weight.  He doesn't think he could go without eating for an entire day, but he's not eating breakfast, and waits as long as he can before he eats anything.  He waited until about 2 PM today;  I fixed him a breakfast burrito.  Meanwhile, I ate whatever I wanted all day:  ice cream, cherries, a grapefruit, and string cheese.  That's exactly how I ate when I was single, living alone.  I'll need to fix something that can be heated up, I guess, for whenever he decides to eat.  This all seems very strange, since I'm used to the routine of breakfast at seven and dinner at noon. But if this works for him, it'll be worth changing our routine, and it'll be him in control instead of me. I like that aspect of it.

I saw someone wanting canning jars on Facebook Marketplace and told her I have plenty of jars.  She's on her way now, so I'd better be watching.  She's coming quite a distance, probably forty miles one way.

Since I have so little of interest to offer in this entry, I recorded myself singing one of my favorite hymns for those of you who said you wanted another song.  I always hear myself going flat in these songs, and it makes me hesitant to post them.  But you all know I'm no Dolly Parton, so you shouldn't be expecting perfection.  Honestly, I think I sing better at 5 AM, but I did this one this afternoon.


5 comments:

  1. I've never been one to diet and pretty much eat what and when I want to, But recent high blood pressure has had me rethinking everything I eat. I never knew that ice cream had so much salt in it. And I do love it, especially in the summer. Take care Donna and keep on singing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sing this song quite often as an invitation and it's another favorite of mine. Not that I've been to church lately to sing anything. I'm high risk and so are most of my family so I haven't been to church since March 11, but I do watch our services on Facebook live. Our pastor didn't even have Facebook before the pandemic, so this has been quite an adjustment for him and a lot of our church family.

    Before I became a diabetic I'd have done well with the fasting one day and eating the next. It would play billy heck with my blood sugar now though.

    I was flattered to see my recipe blog on your list of blogs you read. As many times as I've visited here this is the first time I've noticed that. :-)

    Be safe and well, dear Donna. I do enjoy reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the song. When I saw you had a new post I was hoping for a song. You did not disappoint me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our church started back about 3 weeks ago. I haven’t returned yet. I had gotten a staph infection and couldn’t go for two weeks. I’m all cleared up now. We live stream on YouTube our services. I felt like I was there but no visiting. It’s different with leaving the building and visiting outside in the parking lot for all of us now. You sang a beautiful song that I enjoy singing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song. I sang along with you. Keep on singing for us, you do a great job and I so enjoy it. Our church has opened back up but I have yet to go, the first week I was a little leary to go, then the next week I was meeting my daughter to give my granddaughter back to them :-) Then I haven't gotten there since yet and will be at my daughters this week so who knows when I will get there. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!