Tuesday, July 07, 2020

These past few days

Our son, who lives near Columbus, Georgia, arrived Wednesday night for his annual Fourth of July visit.  His wife is care-giver for her mother, who lives in their home, so she hasn't made the trip for awhile.  However, he brought a car-load of people with him.  It's a small car, so that amounts to four people total:  Jim, his daughter Lyndsay with her daughter, Mae, and another granddaughter, Morgan.  I tend to go on a cooking marathon when Jim's here, trying to make his old favorites... none of them actually good for anybody, but I try to forget our health for this period of time each year.  Just visualize us living on flour, sugar, chocolate, Cool Whip, rice, and potatoes, with some eggs and sausage thrown in:  It's a dieter's nightmare! Nothing but carbs.  

There are three great-grandbabies in the family right now, and that makes things more fun.


This is Brynn, who is past three months old.  She is at the stage of making cute sounds and faces, smiling a lot.  


Can you believe this is the only shot I took of my newest grand-baby, Ivan?  Keep in mind I was doing a lot of cooking that day, as well as keeping my eye on a small bathroom remodel that was going on; we finally found someone reliable who will do that sort of thing, and we hope to avail ourselves of his services a lot.  That's Morgan, one of the Georgia guests, holding Ivan.  Yes, Morgan IS as pretty as this pictures suggests she is.


This is two-year-old Amara.


Here's Mae, from Georgia; that's a doll's bottle she's chewing on.  I just didn't get enough pictures taken, but so it goes.  She is around 18 months, and at such a fun age!  She doesn't know a stranger and is talking a lot, although I don't understand everything she says.  She is a real day-brightener.  What would the world be without babies?  

We had a nice Independence Day with family.  No fireworks were purchased, but a neighbor had some pretty fireworks, so we enjoyed those.  Gabe did NOT enjoy them.  Actually, I can't remember a better Fourth of July here at Woodhaven Acres.  

Now that everybody is gone home, I have a small case of the blues.  There is a cloud hanging over us right now that I can't seem to shake, but it will pass.  Those of you who pray, please remember our family.

The cat is growing like crazy and has made acquaintance with both barn cats.  The chickens are settled in the chicken house and I give them free run most of the day.  The garden?  Not much to brag about.  There are some huge green tomatoes that we will likely get to eat before blight consumes the plants, but blight got our sweet peppers.  It looks as though I'll get some green beans, though.  Every year I say it's my last for planting any garden at all, then spring hits and false optimism makes me think things will be different.  

And that's it for today.  Have a great one... we only live once on this earth.

Sincerely,
Donna


7 comments:

  1. Donna, I’m glad you had a nice 4th of July with all your family. The pictures are lovely. Babies and children are fun to be around. I had a quiet 4th of July. I did go to a Mennonite farm near Versailles and we got fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeños, green beans, and new potatoes. I sliced a tomato for my supper. I love vegetables fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:05 PM

    Dee from Tennessee aka Devonia on fb

    Oh those precious babies ! Thankful for traveling mercies and for such a wonderful visit with your family . We had a very quiet holiday . ( Honestly , the days and months are just running together !)

    Prayers from me for y'all to the One who first loved us .

    Have a blessed week !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I am glad you got to see your family. I hope you were careful while they were all there. The children are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will say a prayer for your family and whatever cloud that is hanging over you soon floats on by . It looks like you had a wonderful 4th. Holidays were not meant for anyone on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got to enjoy having your son home for a while. The little children were an added bonus! I will be praying for yall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to see your son and part of his family were able to get up to see you. The babies are so fun to have around. Family is what it is all about for me. My son, daughter in law and granddaughter who is 7 came up, and that's the first I've seen them since February and we are only 3 1/2 hours apart but with the stupid covid we didn't dare chance it. Looks like a fun 4th of July holiday though for you. I will certainly add you on my prayer list I keep for daily prayer time. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll certainly be thinking of you and yours and sending positive energy/prayers your way. It sounds like a wonderful holiday with family, and getting to see fireworks that you didn't have to buy. (that's every 4th for me) Adorable babies and kids-what a joy to be around them!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!