Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Don't let worries ruin your day

I don't know what tomorrow holds for us.  I love my life here on Woodhaven Acres and dislike changes, but change is part of life.  This morning I stepped outside with a troubled mind, and the Universe spoke to me:  "Look around you," it said.  "Is the sun still in it's place in the sky?  Are the trees still green?  Is your husband still alive and able to enjoy life with you?  What is wrong with this day?  If all is well right now, why are you wasting this good day worrying about what might or might not happen in a month or a year?"

So I took a slow look in all directions and saw the grass and trees, heard the birds singing and a neighbor's rooster crowing in the distance.  Other than the fact that the day is going to be a scorcher, I realized it was a fine one; and who cares how hot it gets when we have air conditioning?  My husband is sitting on the other end of the couch as we surf the Internet; he'll go to the pulmonologist this afternoon to see if his breathing is improved.  As I type this, I thank God for doctors.  Doctors have saved his life twice that I know of:  Once when he had a four-way heart bypass, and once after his gall bladder exploded... that doctor actually told me, "He could have died."

My dog is a good companion in spite of the fact he sometimes strays from home.  He and Blue the cat keep me entertained.  One never has to be bored these days, with television and music always handy and free books galore to read from the public library.  

So I've stopped thinking about what might happen later on and have seized this day.  I pushed away thoughts of all the things I've lost with age and started counting all the things I am still able to do.  My steps are slower, but I can walk.  Some days my knees hurt pretty bad, but Tylenol eases the pain.  I can't lift my largest cast-iron skillet to pour gravy into a bowl, but I have other skillets I can handle just fine.  

This day is truly all I have, so I refuse to throw it away worrying.  

One of my blog-followers, Margie, left a comment saying she hoped we were careful while our family was here for the Fourth:  I felt pretty safe, really; but since the experts have told us we have to settle in for the long haul with this covid-19, I made up my mind that life really isn't worth living if you can't see your loved ones.  So we hugged.  We kissed the babies.  We laughed and shared memories of family members who are no longer with us... and I felt alive again!  We also had a fellow doing some work in one of the bathrooms, but I didn't hug him... although I almost felt like it, when I saw the result of his hard work.

I wear a mask in stores.  I don't go into crowded places unless it's absolutely necessary, so I surely won't be going to country music shows any time soon.  But family is what life is all about, and if we have to live with Covid, I'll have to take my chances, hugging and kissing every great-grandbaby.  It really bothers me we can't go visit my sister in Oklahoma, simply because she's past 90 years old; she's in good health, but at 90, you just don't know how long she might have... although she's so healthy, she'll probably outlive me.

We each have to make our own decisions, and my choices may not be the same as yours.  I am not one of these people who make fun of others for wearing masks.  We have enough of those:  they've taken over Facebook with their selfish rants about their "rights" to walk into a store and possible infect others.  I'll never understand why they have to tell the world about it... if that's your decision, just shut up and do as you please, because it doesn't impress me.



9 comments:

  1. I have so much that needs repaired around this old house and it's so hard to find someone who you can trust to get the job done. I'm glad you found that someone. Agatha Christie once said;
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path." I'm sure glad you got to show your love to your son while he was there. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what you feel is right, Donna. Yes, worrying doesn't change the outcome of one single solitary thing. Wearing a mask when in the company of others, who don't live directly under your roof, and washing hands.... those two things will keep you & your husband from catching this virus. They're the Dynamic Duo of fighting COVID! :-) Have a peace-filled day, Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reason has been tossed to the four winds. Eyes are clouded by what Some think is right and all others should realize it. Where did tolerance go. I will trudge on and try to hold my opinions in as I don’t want to offend, but when I read some of their rants on FB, I wonder if they are just stupid or what? I am tired of staying home all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wonder why we aren't allowed our own opinions anymore? If what we think or believe don't match up with other people, boy they sure have no problem putting us in our place do they? Now they all destroy so many historic sites and statues and burn down so much of Minneapolis and other towns that it's just stupid. I can believe how I want and I sure don't put down anyone that doesn't believe as I do. Ok, sorry for the rant.
    I too, hugged my kids and grandkids and kissed my grandkids. Life is too short to not let them know how much we love them.
    We received a good half inch of rain with a good loud thunderstorm about 4 this morning. When I first stepped outside this morning, the birds were singing, I think my flowers and garden were singing too with a good drink of rain water. It smelled so wonderful outside that I lifted my face to the sky and said, Thank You Lord for this wonderful day and the beautiful rain you gave us. We can always find something to be thankful for. Love to read your blog, so you keep on writing and maybe sing us another song or 2 or 10 :-) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too enjoy your blog and agree with you on most things..except Facebook...I stay away from that. I've never lived in Missouri, but my roots are there; my parents left there for California, then Washington state during the depression.. and never looked back, except to visit the families they left behind. They had fond memories, but settled in the PNW, and fell in love with their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too enjoy your blog and agree with you on most things..except Facebook...I stay away from that. I've never lived in Missouri, but my roots are there; my parents left there for California, then Washington state during the depression.. and never looked back, except to visit the families they left behind. They had fond memories, but settled in the PNW, and fell in love with their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spend a lot of time reading after I make sure all my work is done. I wear a mask in public because I want to protect others from me. I have great health for 84 but nevertheless some people don't have symptoms and I will not take any unnecessary risks.

    I refuse to give in to fear. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see my parents and my boyfriend, which are risky, but otherwise am very careful. I'm a devoted mask wearer, except outside when I'm exercising. (few people, and distant) I don't know where all the risks are, so I'll have to make my best judgement and continue to live somewhat of a life. Not exactly the one I want though. We won't get this time back, so let's make it count.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so true worry doesn't get us anywhere and is a waste of time. we just have to live life the best way we can each day and enjoy it to the fullest. Counting my blessings her.e

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!