Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pigs eat kale

First, let me say that Cliff and I survived another anniversary (June 14, our 48th) and he survived another birthday, making him sixty-nine years old.  From now until July 7, we will be the same age.  Then I will once again be a year older than he.  The big seven-oh.  

This weekend there is a tractor show in Lathrop, Missouri, featuring "The Gathering of the Orange", so there should be a lot of Allis Chalmers tractors there from all over the country.  This is of particular interest to us, since we are back in the Allis Chalmers mode.  However, Cliff is thinking of taking his big Oliver, since it's painted up and pretty.  I do wish the Allis was painted.

I planted kale in the garden this spring, not sure if I would like it or not.  But I was anxious to try something new.  Then we got into a drought and I ignored the kale, along with most of my garden.  Once the rains started, I had a bumper crop of viney weeds that I've been fighting.  Yesterday I thought perhaps I should sample the kale that is now flourishing.  I checked the Internet for harvesting and cooking instructions and learned that it should be picked when it is no bigger than the size of one's hand.  Too late.

I picked an armload of the stuff and tossed it into the pigpen, and was amazed at how enthusiastically they scared the stuff down!  Years ago when I had an abundance of milk from my cows we mixed up milk and wheat shorts, or middlings, to make slop:  pigs love that stuff and grow like weeds on it.  Well, I do believe these pigs like kale as much as my pigs of old liked their slop.  You don't have to take my word for it.

 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the anniversary.. those pigs eat kale more enthusiastic than I do...lol I do make a green smoothie using kale/spinach with mixed fruits, the only way I have kale...Thx for sharing the video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you have no idea what I just paid at Whole Foods for a bunch of kale with leaves just that size. The only thing you have to do when the leaves are bigger is trim out the "spines" and cook as usual. My whole family of health nuts would be awestruck to see pigs feasting on their favorite green vegetable. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to cook Kale. Did them just like I did turnip greens.Cute video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was neat! I liked Cora's laundry basket seat too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care for kale, so I'm glad someone likes it. :) I know it's a super food and wish I did! You guys look great, no older than late 50s. Congrats on your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY Belated Anniversary. And Happy Birthday to Cliff. Cora looks adorable in the wagon. She was intently watching the pigs. My daughter grows kale up in Alaska. she makes smoothies and kale butter for her toast.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!