Saturday, October 27, 2012

In which I wax poetic

I was so worn out by the time I did all that garden work, I decided to sit down and rest and write a silly poem.  By the way, I liked the flavor of the parsnips, but they were stringy.  According to the Internet, that is caused by less than ideal growing conditions.  We did have a drought this year, so maybe that's part of the problem.  

MEDIOCRE ME

My garden's often weedy and tormented much by pests.
My green beans and tomatoes will not ever be the best.
Blight and weeds and squash bugs get the upper hand on me,
And yet you'd be amazed at all the food it gives me, free.

I really don't like housework... all that chasing after dust.
I do not clean my fridge until it gets so bad I must.
I vacuum up the dog hair and I'll mop the kitchen floor:
I do the things I have to, but not one iota more.

Oftentimes I like to sing and play my Dove guitar,
And I enjoy doing that, but I'm no singing star.
My voice is nothing special. The guitar, I don't play well.
It gets me by. You see, I've not endeavored to excel.

Even as a kid in school, first quarter I'd do fine
But once the new wore off of it, I'd slowly fall behind.
Studying seemed senseless. I had better things to do...
Like walking in the rain or climbing hills to see the view.

As I look back upon my life, that's how it's always been,
No matter what the contest, I just never strove to win.
And this trait is inherent to my whole identity,
So I have quite a good time being mediocre me.

5 comments:

  1. Like the poem. I never strove to win either but I do like to clean house at times. I do it all or none it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem! But I never thought of you as mediocre at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. If you are really mediocre, you are the best at it. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, woman! Besides taking care of numerous farm animals (and now a zoo's worth of pair), reaping and gathering farm products and freezing, canning, processing them -- you also manage to post more on your blog and on Facebook than anyone I know. What gives you such super-duper energy anyway? MGW

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me how you can sit and write a poem so quick! Loved this one!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!