Saturday, October 06, 2012

People in a small town pull together

The building that houses our post office and the American Legion is in need of a roof.  It's going to cost a fortune.  So what will our little town do?  
Once a month, breakfast is served in the Legion hall.  For $5, you get all you can eat biscuits and REAL, FULL-OF-SAUSAGE gravy (I hate the fake gravy mixes served at most restaurants), eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, and other goodies.  Today was the first time we have gone, and I was quite impressed.  They could keep this up forever, because we are hooked.  Once a month shouldn't add to our weight problem much, right?  Girl Scouts are selling raffle tickets at $5 apiece, the proceeds from which also go into the roof fund.
  Recently the cupboards at the local food pantry were bare.  Folks got together and donated two pickup loads of grub to the cause.  This Sunday the local churches are collecting more food to add to what was previously collected.  Small towns do things like that.  


  I have a lot of sweet potatoes to take care of, so I brought four of the bigger ones in to cook.  They are so big, I peeled them and cut them into fourths so they would cook faster.  Oh, but I only cooked three, since that's all I could get in my gallon pan.  That biggest one will have to wait until next time.  


There are four two-cup bags for the freezer, and probably three cups in that bowl.  Cliff and I will eat those at the next couple of meals.  I added a tablespoon of brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and a tablespoon of butter to what's in the bowl.  I didn't add anything to the bags, but I will when I thaw them in the microwave for a meal.  I probably should do a couple of bags with only 1 1/2 cups in them, because that's how much is called for in my sweet potato pie recipe.  

5 comments:

  1. Yes people in small towns do pull together in time of need. Good luck to your town on the needed new roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're better at it than big city people because it's more personal to them. I live in a moderately sized city and we are decent at it. Not great though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your town is a very caring community. Glad you decided to support them and found out what a good breakfast they had. Those sweet potatoes are big one! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of making hay!
    Great way to raise money. Sounds yummy.
    So does the sweet tater pie. Those are some huge sweet taters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how small towns work together. Too bad our politicians never learned to do that ~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!