Monday, October 22, 2012

Hymns from my childhood: "I Know Whom I Have Believed"

I just happened to come across the Bible verse this morning on which this song is based, II Timothy 1:12.  It brought to my mind a song I loved as a child, another hymn nobody ever sings any more.  I looked at three or four renditions on YouTube, including one by the Sons of the Pioneers that I was going to use.  Then I found this one.  We didn't clap our hands to the music in church when I was growing up, but this particular clip made me smile, and it's the one I decided I liked best.  It's sung by a church in Northern Ireland.  

 



  1. I know not why God’s wondrous grace
    To me He hath made known,
    Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
    Redeemed me for His own.
    • Refrain:
      But “I know Whom I have believed,
      And am persuaded that He is able
      To keep that which I’ve committed
      Unto Him against that day.”
  2. I know not how this saving faith
    To me He did impart,
    Nor how believing in His Word
    Wrought peace within my heart.
  3. I know not how the Spirit moves,
    Convincing men of sin,
    Revealing Jesus through the Word,
    Creating faith in Him.
  4. I know not what of good or ill
    May be reserved for me,
    Of weary ways or golden days,
    Before His face I see.
  5. I know not when my Lord may come,
    At night or noonday fair,
    Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
    Or meet Him in the air.

4 comments:

  1. At first I didn't think I knew this hymn at all, but when I listened to the music it sounded really familiar. It's great when people can get into singing like that and clap along. Great way to start the day! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this song! We just sang this song last Sunday in Church. Loving the songs you are posting. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still sing it in our little country church!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!