Thursday, May 14, 2009

A productive day

The temperatures today have been ideal. Cool this morning, warming up to the low 70's this evening. Cliff took a paid day off work and we got some things done after our walk.

I got Bonnie into the barn and in the stanchion for the second time. I haven't closed the stanchion with her in it yet, because I don't want to spook her.

Meesha posted an ice cream recipe that doesn't need a special ice-cream machine, which got me to thinking about the ice cream I'll be able to make with the cream that will rise to the top of each gallon of Bonnie's milk, after she freshens. This got me wondering whatever happened to my old White Mountain Ice Cream freezer. I don't recall moving it when we relocated, last year. (My mind wanders like that.)

So I went to old faithful Craigslist and typed "white mountain freezer" into the search box. Someone in Richmond (where we often grocery shop) had a like-new one for $30! On Ebay they bring well over $100, and I was ecstatic... until I called and found out someone had already bought it.

Once Cliff got out of bed, he told me we still have all the parts of our old freezer except for the wooden outside bucket, which pretty much disintegrated. You can go to the White Mountain website and buy the bucket for $100. I don't think so; not for something we'll only use twice a year, tops.

Dinner (the noon meal here) was catfish supplied by a neighbor, wilted lettuce from the garden, and a baked potato.

Cliff did a lot of mowing, and then this afternoon I helped him straighten up some fence posts the horses have leaned on a bit too much over the past twenty-odd years.

I'm a little bummed that we didn't get a motorcycle ride in, on what will be a four-day weekend for us. Of course we have another four-day weekend coming up for Memorial Day; maybe then? If so, I'm sure we'll only be away for a couple of days. So if anyone should drop by on the proper day, they'd catch us home (that's you, Meesha).

We got two inches of rain last night in about an hour's time, so all the plants are happy, and I am too.

On that note, I'll close and say "Good night, John-boy!"


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day at the farm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will probably go to St.Louis over the Memorial Day weekend and will likely be coming back on the 26th, so I am thinking about making a short detour. I will have more details closer to that date. As far as ice-cream I wanted and still may buy an attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer, it doesn't require and salt and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a lot done and the weather was kind and in fact beautiful for you. That sounded great.

    Hopefully you'll get to ride the bike on the long weekend and have a wonderful time as always as seen in the photos you have posted so far.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!