Thursday, May 28, 2009

It's all for the birds

Last year I discovered how much pleasure a person can get watching hummingbirds. This year, it's the goldfinches. There are very few times that there isn't at least one of these yellow lovelies at the feeder; a couple of days ago when Cliff and I were returning from our walk, we counted eight goldfinches altogether, including the ones on the fence.

I also see house finches every day, although I have yet to get a picture of one. I snagged this picture off the Internet.

My daughter gifted me with a birdbath. I've been wanting to attract bluebirds, and according to Dr. Google, that's one thing they like. So far, all I've seen bathe in the thing are robins and sparrows. Evidently goldfinches aren't worried about their hygiene, because they only use it to drink from. I've never seen any of them bathe in it.

I do see bluebirds perching on the back fence on a daily basis. I guess my next move would be to purchase a bluebird house. Wish me luck.

8 comments:

  1. Donna,

    We have gotten finch bags from Walmart and they have attracted yellow finches like crazy. Love to see them hanging on the bag and eating.

    As for blue birds, we have them as well, although I have not seen them washing.

    We finally have a squirrel at our place (we are out in the country) and I've heard they been having havoc on the finch bag and the bird feeders, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just nothing quite so entertaining as watching the birds. I do it by the hours every weekend. Although I do have a small feeder at the campground I guess it is really not good to feed them when you are out like that and not around all the time as they become dependant on you for food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:47 PM

    Being out in the country does have its pleasures ... right??? hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie10:00 PM

    I have changed the sugar water every week and still have no hummingbirds. Maybe after not feeing them at this location for a few years they went elsewhere. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:50 AM

    Donna, there is a design for Blue Bird houses that discourages sparrows. It is called the slant front Blue Bird houseI will try to find a picture and send by E-mail. Good Luck.......Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I have had a birdbath for years, & I have never seen any bath in it. All of them just drink from it. I'd love to see them bath in it.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:50 AM

    oh donna, isn't the yellow goldfinches against the green grass just a wonderful sight?!..I'm glad that you're enjoying the birds, it's been one of my favorite things to enjoy for years..... :)
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pictures of your set up and the birds. :) One thing I do miss since we moved here are the bigger birds like cardinals and blue jays. We only get the small house finches, and the swallows are here now. You can go right down the road where there are trees and see the bigger birds, but they don't come out into our open area.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!