Friday, February 18, 2011

I guess this is what they call "February thaw".

We broke the previous record high yesterday, so of course Cliff and I took full advantage and went for a motorcycle ride.  It was already sixty degrees at 5 A.M.
The only foreseeable problem was the wind, which gusted to fifty-five miles per hour at times.  Believe me, that's no fun on a motorcycle, but as I told Cliff:  "If we're going to be going on a long ride this summer, we'll have to ride in wind, especially across Kansas; it's a windy state."  
I will tell you that the blast of wind hitting us as we crossed the Congressman Ike Skelton bridge was frightening, and as we left the bridge, with it's barriers that had partially blocked the wind, it felt as though we were going to fly away to Illinois.  It wasn't nearly as bad when we were going back home, thank goodness.     
Cliff wanted to go to Scott's Bargain Barn at Excelsior Springs, a place we often use as a destination when we only want a short motorcycle ride.  It's a dirty, run-down place that holds very few items of interest for me, so I took my Nook along.  That way I can spend my time reading and Cliff doesn't feel rushed because he knows I'm occupied; he can spend a lot of time in that place.  I took a quick look around and then went out into the sunshine to read; with Nooks and Kindles, you can read in direct sunlight, unlike the net-books and Ipads that glare in the sun.
 Scott's Bargain Barn sells all the parts you'd need to build any kind of trailer, and they also sell ready-made trailers.  This turned out well for me, because I stretched out on a trailer to read, using my motorcycle jacket for a pillow, and soon went to sleep.  We'd picnicked at Sunnyside Park in Excelsior Springs, and I always get sleepy after lunch.    
We took the motorcycle trailer with us in order to get groceries at Richmond on the way home, so we made full use of our gasoline dollars.  Cliff says gas is over $3 a gallon in the city, but it was $2.97 at Richmond.  When we first bought our other Gold Wing, we did a lot of grocery shopping on the motorcycle, and we didn't even have a trailer then!  You'd be surprised at how much you can pack into the trunk and saddlebags of a full-dress motorcycle!   I enjoyed these shopping trips, but Cliff sometimes feels it's too much trouble to hitch up the trailer for such a brief trip.  So we don't do it nearly as often as we did the first year we had a Gold Wing.     
Temperatures are to be in the fifties today; I may scratch out a place in the garden and plant some lettuce.  Freezing doesn't bother lettuce, and it will be there to grow when it warms up again.  
By the way, I noticed yesterday evening that this one super-warm, sunshiny day gave a green cast to our brown grass.   Yippee!  

7 comments:

  1. So jealous of your warming weather. It snowed all night here and is still going. It's the kind of snow that is so tiny that it's almost invisible but it does accumulate; about four inches so far. We can't garden until late May. Husband's Harley is stored in the basement until at least April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in the 50's here and it was windy! All but the very largest of piles of snow are gone now and I was very surprised that the grass is greenish here not all brown like I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rained here yesterday but is snowing lightly now. More snow on Monday they tell us, don't know how much yet.

    Nice you got out on your Gold Wing, got to take advantage of every good day. I must dig out the Kindle that the Hubs got last year and play around with it. I must admit I like the feel of a real book in my hand though. Weird I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were having a thaw, too - until today. Now we have several inches of fresh snow sandwiching a nice thick layer of ice. All our newly emerged grass in buried once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it'd be fun riding the motorcycle and getting out and about. I wondered if the wind was real noticable on a motorcycle. Seems it is!! Our gas here is $3.19...too high!

    ReplyDelete
  6. after world war two daddy went to the country store and brought our grocerys home in a flour sack tied behind his saddle. he did this for several years. of course we didn't buy much.
    we may have to do that again the ways things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just placed a call to a man I know named Dick Wells. Dick is a former singer with the Harry James Orchestra and an expert on the subject of American popular music. The conversation went like this:

    Tom: Dick, I have a question for you about the song, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow".

    Dick: What would you like to know about, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow?"

    Tom: Who wrote, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow"?

    Dick: Well, Tom, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" was written by the songwriting team of Jules Stein and Sammy Cahn.

    Tom: Tell me, are the two authors of "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" still alive?

    Dick: No, the two authors of "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" are both dead.

    Tom: Good

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!