Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wake-up Walmart

I've been noticing the ad campaign on television directed against Wal-mart. Now, you have only to scroll down a couple of entries to see that I'm not necessarily enchanted with Walmart stores myself, especially one in particular. However, in these times of rising prices, I tend to go where the bargains are. And Walmart is such a giant that they can afford to undersell other stores... which of course is why so many mom-and-pop stores are shutting down.

I do make an effort, these days, to shop my local grocery stores more... the ones in the small towns around here. I'm of a mind to try and make a still greater effort. Maybe that will be my new year's resolution. I was influenced to do this by guy, over at "Astoria Oregon Rust". He's also the one who talked me into buying a reusable water bottle so I'd stop buying those disposable bottles of water that are taking over our landfills. On that one, I've been true-blue all the way; I haven't bought a bottle of water in months. It's an easy change to make, and I urge my readers to follow suit on this one. I call it "the power of the blog", when one person writes something that manages to influence at least one other person to make a positive change.

But back to the anti-Walmart ads: I'd like to know where you plan to shop for clothes if not Walmart? Folks, I worked at a Kohl's distribution center for almost five years. It was a rare event to see anything made in America come through there. I'm sure you could say the same for any other retailer in the country.

I wear Wrangler blue jeans often. I read where they're now made in Mexico. I also have some Levis, and Lee jeans. Levi closed their last US factory in 2003; Lees are now made in Costa Rica, I believe.

So give the devil his due. Walmart has surely caused problems for our economy, but they aren't alone in this. Virtually all name-brand clothes and shoes are made in other countries.

And I don't have a clue what to do about it, except to at least try to buy some of my groceries at my home-town supermarket. I do know I can't afford to pay twice the price just to buy American-made products.

I linked to my Walmart rave on a message board, and one fellow made this comment: "
I give Walmart five years and then they be so big they will self destruct from within. Back in the twenties Armor meats were big and then they started losing thousands a day and couldn't stop it they died with none or very little money." AL

We shall see.

5 comments:

  1. Donna, thank you for the mention. It is the small things that eventually add up. It takes three liters of water to make the bottle that contains one liter of water. Shopping local costs more but costs more in the long run if you don't. It's a great idea to shop local farmers markets. I encourage everyone to create a local product. I have three products from my farm and my customers are dedicated to the local economy and quality of locally produced items. It is important to read labels to see where things are made these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree WalMart will eventually fold on its own. The question is: what kind of damage will they have done before they do croak?

    Love your ice pics. Brrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh goodness you remind me so much of Rollye James! http://www.rollye.net/

    I listen to her almost every evening on XM radio--I don't completely agree with her all the time, but she makes valid points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No water bottles here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post donna!

    Wal-Mart is a necessary evil. Luckily for me, I have a small WM (not a supercenter) near me. I shop there for my household supplies, cat foods/litter, soaps ect. but I buy all my groceries at the small locally owned stores (out of necessity too!)

    I handled insurance for WM an worked out of their home office ( a satellite office in B-ville) WM will NOT self destruct....they will only get bigger. The whole thing is ran pretty darn tight. I would be shocked if they periled.

    I am NOT a WM fan. I think they pay bad and treat their employees badly. I also KNEW I would never be molded into WM material that is why I resigned.

    I handled all the stores and truckdrivers in IA. Those were some GREAT people I worked with in that state :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!