Saturday, July 13, 2024

Things are getting real!

Things I've seen in the comment section of my last couple of entries:

"Goats are a lot of work.  Good luck."  I'm not starting a goat farm, I'm getting two, count them, two goats.  Surely I can keep them in fresh water and a little hay, even in winter; they will be pretty close to the house.  Since I get to take them to their present owner to breed, I probably will do that at least once just for the fun of playing with baby animals, but nothing says I have to keep them forever.  In fact, at my age, anything could happen.  But whatever time I have, I'll do my best to enjoy it.

"It sounds like you have many people helping you make this a reality. I hope it's everything you hope for!"  If it isn't, I'll get rid of the goats and put chickens out there.  I have had goats before, so it isn't like I don't know what I'm getting into.

"You listed all the reasons why it's a headache to have goats. However, I'm not seeing why you would like to have them. LOL They sound like real characters with not a lot of common sense."  It's my husband who has had so many problems with goats, but if they have the right kind of fence that they can't get out of, there's no problem really.  Our problems with goats was always because we just put them in the pasture with the cows, and a lot of cattle fencing isn't made to hold goats.  If they have their own pen made for goats, they can't do any harm that I know of.  Knock on wood.

"It’s going to take a tall tall fence to turn goats. They like brush and that looks like a cow pasture."  The goats will have their own brand new pen with five feet high wire that they can't get their heads through.  They won't be running around in the big pasture.  It isn't huge, so I'll probably end up feeding them hay year around after they eat the grass down in their pen.  Thank goodness goats don't eat as much hay as cows do.  

Tomorrow after church we are going over to talk with the lady we're buying them from and see what we're getting.  When the new pen is finished, she will bring them to us.  

Here's the pen, ready for the wire to be added and one gate to be fashioned.  The wire starts being put on tomorrow.


The gate will be here, facing east.  Cliff put those big tires in there so they'd have something to climb on.

   This is the fence between us and the neighbors, and that means that side of the pen is already fenced.  Even chickens couldn't get out of this wire; the holes in it are 2 inches by 4 inches.  And that's what we bought for the rest of the pen.

 I intend to take some pictures tomorrow when we go to see the goats.

Peace!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Waiting on the pictures. Oh, the adventures that lie ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:24 PM

    I’d love to be there to see the goats! We had them in Mexico. I adored the little ram that was born. I cried like a baby when the other goat died in childbirth. The vet couldn’t save her or her baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Can’t wait to see the coats. Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:13 PM

    I hope we get to meet them! It's looking great.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend's Texas family has goats and I met them while down there in April. I can't wait for the goat stories that you'll share once they arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved goats. I can't wait to see the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!