Thursday, October 29, 2020

I've quit posting links from my blog on Facebook

It has always bothered me to share the links of individual blog posts on Facebook; I would resolve to quit doing that, but then four or five Facebook friends would say they really wanted me to share the links there because otherwise, they forget to check the blog.  I'd give in and go back to sharing the links.  I'm done promoting it that way.

In the first place, my blog doesn't need huge numbers of readers.  It's for me to have a way to look back at my past 20 years and remember things I've done or people I've met.  It's also a way for relatives to keep up with what we're doing.  When I shared the link on Facebook, it felt like I was pandering for readers to come and read what I had to say.  If I mentioned on Facebook I was going to stop sharing it there, just to give them a heads-up, they'd say "please don't".  That made it appear I was trying to get people to beg me to stay.     

This time, I didn't say anything to anyone on Facebook about it, I just stopped sharing the link.  At the same time, I've been trying to have less presence on Facebook in general.  Some days I still catch myself sharing too many memes and jokes, but compared to the past, I've definitely slowed down.  Social media turns life into a garbage dump, before, during, and after the elections.  I need to limit it for my own mental health.  

Yes, my readership dropped from eighty to thirty, but the people who remain are good, long-time readers who feel like friends to me.  For some reason, I actually get MORE comments directly on my blog now, perhaps because some people would read it from Facebook and then comment on the link on Facebook, which is the easier way.

So the divorce between my blog and Facebook is set in stone.  I feel much better about that situation, and you know what?  Not one person has mentioned that they haven't seen a blog post lately.  In other words, people were scrolling down Facebook, bored, happened to see the link, and having nothing better to do, clicked it to see if there was anything unusual or interesting.  I'm not all that social a person, and I'm peculiar in many ways.  I imagine less that 5% of what I write would appeal to most folks, because I have very little in common with them.

With that said, I'll be back in the morning with some more pictures and words about Georgia.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with your decision 100%. I've never linked to my blog, and never will. I don't like mixing my Facebook (Margaret Lite persona) with my blog, where I am much more genuine. I also don't want a bunch of lookie loos and am content with my readership as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Northern AB gal11:56 AM

    Until recently I wasn't able to post on your blog, not sure when it changed but now that I can I will try and comment more often. I have always followed your blog and only recently your FB page. I enjoy both. The more I hear about social media sites the less I want to go there. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I don’t remember the how’s to finding your blog on aol but after learning about your interesting Missouri country life I was hooked! I was going through a divorce and the blogs gave me something everyday to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support you 100%, Donna. I deleted my Facebook account many months ago. Between having to watch arguing about the election... arguing about the virus... and arguing about the riots... I found that FB was definitely not good for my mental health. So I deleted my account and never looked back. I don't miss it one bit. I love my blogging friends! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Donna! Thank you so much for your visit and comment.
    I killed my Facebook account several years ago. I just didn't trust it anymore. I never linked my blog to my Facebook because my kids were worried about security.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never joined Facebook, and people couldn't understand that decision. But now I am so glad that I never felt the need to join.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, I was thinking FB but is fake me and my blog is real. I’m posting to both but they are not similar. My blog is a log of my life and FB is really just hype.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i still enjoy Blogger more than i eve did FB.anyway. At least here get to see when you make a post as it shows up here in my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m hereeeeee cuz you took your fb down so what’s that tell ya... guess we are real friends lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!