Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Husbands and wives

 I confess that for about two hours each morning, Cliff and I sit on the couch after breakfast and surf the 'Net.  We have random conversations with one another announcing some news item we saw on Facebook or sharing the fact that one of our mutual Facebook friends has a birthday.  And half the time, Cliff is looking at jokes on some crazy website.  I like a good joke, but I can read them quietly.  My husband laughs vociferously while commenting on whatever he's seeing:  "Oh, that's funny!"  "HAHAHAHAHAHA"  "Where do they come up with this stuff?"  

Sometimes he feels compelled to let me in on the humor, holding his laptop at an awkuard angle and giving me plenty of time to see it.  He and I do share a sense of humor, especially when it's just the two of us so we can say anything we want, so I do look at it.  Unfortunately, most of the jokes are not funny to me.  At least half of the videos show somebody stupid doing something painful to themselves, which only makes me feel their pain in my imagination; not funny; some of them are a little naughty... but they go overboard.  

Now that I think of it, the oldest grandson is the one who gave Cliff the link to that site!  I have a good notion not to wish him a happy birthday today.  

Yesterday I remembered having an app in the past that gave me most all the major magazines online at no charge, so I downloaded it again on the iPad.  Even though I had used the RB digital app in the past, it took me awhile to change the password I'd forgotten and figure out the whole process, but after about an hour of struggles, I was reading about Aretha Franklin in Rolling Stone, and later, a Life Bookazine about Johnny Cash.  Why had I ever abandoned this wonderful app? 

This is a tiny sample of the many magazines available.  There is a search feature so you can type in the name of any magazine to see if they have it.

This morning I decided Cliff needs this wonderful added benefit from our library, but it was even harder than doing it for myself.  For one thing, you have to subscribe through the library or the app is no good.  But when I went to the library on my MacBook, it fought with me because I was trying to log into the library with Cliff's library card.  I'd type it in, the computer would replace it with mine.  And through all this, my husband is next to me laughing like a jackal and sharing little random comments with me.  I finally remembered I made an account for Cliff on my MacBook, logged out of my account, and logged into his.  Sure enough, that worked for setting things up.  

But the iPad he uses for reading books is still registered to me, so I had to argue with the app for awhile in order to get Cliff signed in.  Before I could finish doing that, he got up, stretched, and said, "Welp, I'm gonna go ride the bike now."  

"Oh man, I almost had this done (I think).  And now you're going to take your iPad?"

Insert long sigh here.

So he's on the recumbent bike and I'm using the peace and quiet to let my readers know about the hell I live with!  (That's one of Cliff's favorite expressions:  "You can see the hell I live with."  He's usually talking about me when he says it, so I just thought I'd borrow it and use it on him.)

At least I do have him wanting the app now, since I found tractor magazines in that huge mountain of magazines.  If these were normal times, I could take my library and the iPad to the library and they'd help me do these sorts of tasks.  However, I have a book laying her that I checked out about two months ago that I can't just take it back any old time, because I'm not allowed in the library due to the pandemic.  The Lexington library doesn't have an overdue charge, so I'm OK.

So today you get a tiny glimpse of the craziness inside our house.

Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. I wish my parents would feel comfortable enough with technology to do this. They enjoy getting their Weekly magazine and would love having access to more. (but they are firmly anti-internet) I had to remind them that they're using my wifi hotspot and my son-in-law's iPad mini to look at photos and videos of their great grandson in New York. :) I'm not finding much funny these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, no one is these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was a joy to read.... so many similarities with our household. Routine is good and laughs are even better. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to have someone to laugh with. Living by my self during these days has not been easy. You are right about the library app. It's wonderful to have tht when the libraries are closed. I use mine a lot but mostly for books, not magazines. Most magazines do have their own websites though where you can see and read articles. So much better than paying out the money and having them stack up. Hope you both keep laughing and enjoy your time together !

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!