Thursday, October 29, 2020

Arriving in Georgia, and our first day there

 As soon as we got off the plane and entered the building, I called our son, knowing he was waiting for us.  He was up front of this massive group of buildings, and we must have been somewhere near the back of the place.  I asked a lady who worked there in some capacity how to get to the people waiting to pick us up, and she pointed to an escalator nearby that headed down.  We dutifully went down, but saw only a hallway; there seemed to be a row of elevators a few people were waiting to board, but we saw no escape, nor had the lady mentioned elevators.  Going back to the upper level, we saw two men talking, one of whom was closing the bar in which he worked.  I asked him the same question I'd asked the lady earlier... how do we get out of here; he started to tell us, then said, "If you wait about five minutes till I clock out, you can just follow me."

The young man with him said, "Come on, I'll show you."

As it turns out, they left together, so we followed them back downstairs and found out those people weren't waiting on elevators, they were waiting for the doors to open and let them board the "plane-train".  Who knew?  At its fourth stop, our rescuers bade us goodbye, telling us the next stop would be ours.  Finally we met up with Jim and Deb, who had known we were there because I had called... but I had stopped talking to Jim in the middle of the call, so they had no idea what was happening with us.  Whew!  Thank God for people who help old, ignorant travelers, or we'd still be wandering around the place.  And thank the good Lord I was born a woman, so it doesn't bother me at all to ask strangers how to get out of a place.  Men, as I'm sure you've noticed, don't ask for help.  It embarrasses them.

It was after 9 PM when we de-planed, and it took an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to their home near Columbus.  Georgia is in a different time zone, and I think it was around midnight their time when I went to bed.  Cliff probably wasn't far behind me, but who knows?  I was sleeping like a baby.  

Saturday morning, we made the rounds.

Here's their house, with a porch on the front, and one in back.  They've always rented before, so we were anxious to see what made them finally buy a house; it wasn't hard to figure out!  They're in the country, with access to a fishing lake.  It's so peaceful and quiet; there is some traffic going past to the lake, but that's about it.  Do you see that huge plant in front of the house, all the way to the right?  It's a banana plant with little bananas on it.  Unfortunately, even Georgia isn't warm enough for the bananas to make it to maturity.    






Jim, Cliff, Deb, and I got in the golf cart and our son proceeded to give us a tour of the neighborhood.  I'd love to have a golf cart.

   Jim found a boat that needed some fixing, repaired it, and now goes fishing at Goat Rock Lake.  

This was my view from the back of the golf cart.  Look at all those Georgia pines.

We got back to the house and found granddaughter Lyndsay and her daughter, Maelynn, waiting for our return.  Here's the picture that has 100 likes on Facebook.


We saw Jim, Lyndsay, and Mae in July when they came on their yearly visit.  We hadn't seen Jim's wife for quite a while because her mother has lived with them since having a stroke, and Deb is her caretaker, so it's hard for her to get away.  Jim and Deb have both lost weight since we'd seen them.  

We absolutely love their place:  The house sits on one acre and is at the edge of government land, so there won't be anyone building a house near them.

Stay tuned for more...










5 comments:

  1. What a great place to live. I've never seen a banana plant with bananas on it before. How nice. I think I see a golf cart in your future. Have fun and enjoy the visit. that picture of Cliff and the granddaughter is a keeper for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their house is gorgeous, just like something I would choose. Glad you were helped by kind people. Panic sort of sets in when you’re lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like having to take airport trains, but like you, I ask LOTS of questions. Their place looks and sounds wonderful. What fun to spend time with family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their place looks so wonderful, So nice you could go down and visit them. The picture of Cliff and his great granddaughter is fabulous! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh! I've never been to Georgia. What fun to see the area. They have bananas? Wow! I didn't think it was THAT warm there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!