Thursday, April 02, 2020

What's the worst that can happen?

That phrase is what Norman Vincent Peale once suggested that people going through a scary situation should ask themselves:  What's the worst that can happen?

When Cliff was out of work for an extended time many years ago, we discussed that scenario and felt better about things.  At that time, the worst that could happen would have been that we could lose our home: the kids were grown and no longer with us, so we only had to worry about ourselves; just the two of us, but we had one another and liked one another.  We agreed that we probably wouldn't starve to death, so the worst thing that might happen at that time was we'd lose our place.  But we could start over, settle into a different home, even live in town if it became necessary.  Cliff was trying hard to find a job, with no luck, but as long as we had one another, we'd manage somehow.  Knowing what the worst was made us feel better and we got through it.

The phrase "what's the worst that can happen" doesn't make me feel better about the pandemic at all, because there are many worst-case scenarios I can conjure up, depending on how long it lasts.  I'm sure it bothers all of us that we don't know how long this thing is going to last, which means we can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.  We like knowing, don't we?  We can handle it if it doesn't last too long, right?

I go out of my way not to think about that, but it's hard.  I wonder what things will be like when it's over.  How many companies will close permanently?  How many jobs can exist after being closed down for months?  They're printing up money like crazy;  inflation can already be seen in the grocery store prices.  Will the high prices stick around when the pandemic is over?  Will there be no funds for Social Security?  Will we all lose our homes?

I wonder if all the rich people will be poor, so we could all be poor together: That sounds nice, but from the hoarding that's already going on, I don't see us all sitting around singing "Kumbaya" together when things get real.  

When I allow myself to worry a bit, those are the things I go over in my mind.

No matter how long it lasts or how bad it gets, though, there will be good things come out of this unique time.  I will appreciate my freedom to go to church, or to get in the car with Cliff and go to a grocery store safely.  I will remember to appreciate my relatives who are willing to go shopping for me in order to keep the two of us safe at home.  I will always appreciate the fact I have my husband here to keep me company through the "social distancing" phase of this.  

And if, by some stretch of the imagination, we ALL have to start over because we are ALL poor, let me paraphrase something my Uncle Leo said:  If someone were to take all the money in the world and divide it up equally among the entire population, in one year the same people who were rich before will have most of their money back.

For now, I'll settle down, take a deep breath, and hang on, because it's going to be a wild ride.

8 comments:

  1. You are blesses\d to have each other to go through this together. I'm alone and miss having any company at all. We're all going to be different after this. I think it has touched everyone. Me, I'm just glad to see a new day. but if the worst happens, I could be in heaven with no more sadness or tears, and that could be the best day of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be as upbeat as you. I have elderly parents, a pregnant daughter in New York, and another daughter in Ohio. I live alone, so the isolation is very tough on my spirits. I think I will very much appreciate(even more) my coffee dates and Happy Hours when we're finally able to go out. In my opinion life won't be truly "normal"until there's a vaccine, which is a year and a half down the road. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. In one of my daily readings I heard it mentioned that isn't it funny we all fear what hasn't happened yet and may never happen. We create scenarios in our mind and fret about them just as if they were true. I'm trying to "live in the moment", my friend, and maybe you can try too. Think about today only and what is actually happening in your life. Are you eating? Do you have shelter? Are you feeling ok physically? Is the sun shining where you are? Are the birds singing and the tree budding out? Embrace those things and reel in your mind when it starts to wander. That's what I'm doing and it's helping. But please remind ME too, if I start to falter, ok? :-) Love always~ Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, you are preaching to the choir. , I sometimes want to let people know I’m not always Pollyanna and that I worry too. God has always taken good care of me, and He’ll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to quit watching all the tv updates on the Covid-19. I never had anxiety before this, but then I pray and God calms me down again. I hate weekends when I am here on my own, now until I had to stay home, I loved being home on weekends. Crazy how our perspective changes when we can't do something. I did read just a snippet of an article that said our biggest problem right now is FEAR. That we need to not be so fearful. I don't know. I am in the high risk category with my valve replacement I had done, but I ask God that if I get it, to be a lighter case or at least not a hospitalization case. I know Margaret, that vaccine is coming but yes, still a long way off. Ugh. I also have a pregnant daughter and a son in law who goes into all kinds of businesses with his work. I pray for them all daily too. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am alone but thanks to the telephone and the computer, I don't let it get me down. I am not afraid. I am trying as best I can to stay busy, cleaning out the file cabinet and doing some more deep cleaning. I watch Sunday services online from one of our churches in Toronto, Canada. They do a good job and I know the pastor there.

    Once or twice a week I run out to the Dollar General store for groceries and once a week I go to Coffeyville or Independence to their Walmart store for things I can't get here at our Dollar General.

    I refuse to stew over this situation at this point. I am healthy and that is something to be happy about at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m not alone. There are 3 of us here. Only Joe leaves the house as it has been for some time. I am concerned for Joe. But what’s the worst thing that can happen? I know where I am going if I die. We’ve had that assurance for many years. As far as I can see, my family is safe and well. I praise the Lord every day for our good fortune. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is times like these that I miss Danny the most. I thank God that I do have Dan with me., but because he is mentally handicapped, he is panicky and asking many many questions every minute about Why we can not go to town or walmart. With his diabetes,(and my age), I am trying to keep us home. He went to the grocery with me and I was constantly reminding him 6 FEET AWAY and not to touch. Now they have one way signs inside the store, so I'm having to make sure he goes the right way. And then he gets mad because the shelves are bare!! It's a chore, let me tell you! Phew... Stay safe MOSIE ♥️ "I KEEP REPEATING: AND THIS TOO WILL PASS"

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!