Saturday, April 04, 2020

Life in Limbo

Everything seems sort of purposeless now, doesn't it?  Cliff and I really don't go a lot of places, but somehow knowing we can't leave home now bothers me.  Of course we could go for a drive, but as Cliff said, we wouldn't want to go very far or we'd end up having to use a strange, virus-filled rest room, because one of us always needs to go.  We went to Odessa the other day to get some things for the garden, simply because I hate to make somebody else go looking for some item they've never bought before.  Odessa has two stores selling the same kind of products.  We arrived at one store, and rather than go in, I called them from the parking lot and asked if they would send someone out to load some 40-pound bags into the pickup bed; I asked if we could just drive up to the front of the store afterward and meet them at the door to pay; that was fine, the lady said.  We waited and waited, but nobody came.  My cell phone rang.  I answered, and the lady I had just talked to said, "Ma'am, I don't think you are at our store."

I wasn't the least bit surprised at this news.  Nothing I do surprises me any more.  But since we now knew the other store had what we needed, I suggested we just drive over there and buy it from them.  It's only about two blocks from one to the other.  Once we got there, we found out we were saving fifty cents a bag on our purchases, so all's well that ends well.  Except that I did go inside the store after all, because as I stood at the door to pay the lady, I saw right inside the store a rack full of every kind of garden seed I might need.  In I went , and came out with my seeds.  I told the woman,  "Just put me down in the system as Crazy Lady, since I'm the one who got the two stores mixed up."  One of them let me use her hand sanitizer, and then I washed my hands thoroughly when I got home.  

I will be going to the other store next time, though.  I ordered three Buff Orpington pullet chicks from them on the phone (I hope it was them), and they're going to call me when the chicks arrive.  So I'm looking forward to that.  Yesterday it rained and turned cold; last night we had a freeze that probably nipped the peach blossoms.  If so, there'll be no peaches for us this year.  I think yesterday was the only day this week I didn't take a walk.  Next week sounds very spring-like, so maybe I'll be in a better mood.  

We usually catch the news when Cliff gets up in the mornings, but lately the only subject on the news seems to be this COVID-19, Cornonavirus, or whatever name you want to give it, so we turn it off after hearing the weather.  I generally check the numbers of new cases in our county, Lafayette.  For three days, we had 20 cases, but today it jumped to 26.  That's a higher number than most of Missouri's rural counties.  I can understand why our numbers might run higher, since a large percentage of people in this area work in Independence and Kansas City, and would be more likely to have been exposed to more people.

I guarantee you I am going to appreciate our freedom when we get it back!  I don't like the feeling of being unable to visit people or go to church or do my own shopping.  I'm going to appreciate how good we have it, if I live through this.

Oh sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.



4 comments:

  1. I'm not enjoying HAVING to stay home and it's been quite a while that it's been going on. May 4 is our new date, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's hard for most folks so you're not alone. I think you've called it right when you said that people are having a hard time because they HAVE to stay home. I'm sure it's that way with most folks, although there are some that simply can't stand to not leave the house everyday or at least every other day. I'm happy as a clam being home, as I know you are too, but watching our church service on YouTube just isn't the same... and pulling up to the health food store & having the owner come out with our groceries and put them in the back isn't the same either. I'd like to walk up and down the aisles, real slow, relishing every food label. Pretty soon... pretty soon. Hang in there, kiddo. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read on FB today that we shouldn't feel trapped at home, but safe at home. We had a good week and the good Lord took caee of our loved ones so we should be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very bored and would love to get out of the house and visit someone but I won't get around others because no one knows who has this virus without symptoms.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!