Friday, April 24, 2020

Adventure of the day

We just finished a dinner of nothing but mushrooms.  I had good intentions of making a square meal and having mushrooms as a side, but we got side-tracked by a trip to a granddaughter's house.  Since I'm doing everything I can to keep my stomach agreeable, I don't drink coffee now, but Cliff does.  We've bought coffee beans at Costco for years, and now we can't stand pre-ground coffee.  It's still possible, I'm sure, to buy coffee beans at the big grocery stores and Walmart, but we aren't going there while this virus is around.  Family members will shop for us, but how do you know what kind of coffee to tell others to buy for you, when you don't even know the choices?  I attempted to order our coffee on Costco online, but like most everything else, it wasn't available.  Searching on Amazon a while back, I found some Columbian coffee beans and ordered them.  For the amount that was in the bag it was more costly than our Costco brand, but not outrageously so.  Both of us liked it.  When we'd used about 2/3 of that coffee,  I re-ordered it and was notified it would be at least two weeks before we'd get it, but they did let me order it.  I finally got notice a couple of days ago it has been sent, and will arrive Monday.  I crossed my fingers in hopes our almost empty bag of beans would last till then, but it didn't.  

I remembered a conversation I had with granddaughter Monica a few weeks ago, when she told me they had gotten a Costco card and then showed me the coffee beans they bought there, the same ones we buy.  So this morning I instant messaged her and asked if we could have a cup of her coffee beans to get Cliff by till ours came; of course she said we could.  I made some snickerdoodles, we bagged half a dozen of them for Monica and Gerald, and off we went.  

I asked Cliff if he was OK with Gabe riding along:  Like all dogs, he always wants to go.  But we never take him if we'd be leaving him alone in the car.  Cliff said Gabe could go, and away we went, fifteen miles to Oak Grove.  Now, Oak Grove is not a large city.  It's big enough to have a small Super Walmart and several fast-food places, but it still has a small-town feel.  We lived south of Oak Grove for seven years, although it wasn't nearly as big then; but I thought we were fairly familiar with the town.  

We had only been to visit Monica and Gerald once, when they first brought their baby home from the hospital, but neither of us were quite sure how to get there again; so I had asked Monica for the address to put in the GPS.  Wouldn't you know, that particular address was one of those peculiar ones that the GPS got wrong  That usually only happens in the country; our trailer house, in fact, has an address that the GPS thinks is west of here in somebody else's pasture.  If we have to direct anyone here, we use the grandson's address at the old house.

So there we were, two geezers and a shaggy Schnauzer, driving around first one city block and then another after the GPS told us we had already arrived.  Cliff does not take this sort of fiasco lightly, so I called Monica before things got too serious.  She talked us the rest of the way to their house, and we got out of the car, leaving Gabe in there alone... but we weren't going in the house, just chatting with them outside.  We traded six cookies for a cup of coffee beans, and Monica brought the baby out so we could see her in the flesh again; this brightened up our day, even though we couldn't hold her.  I think Cliff forgot all about getting lost.  BUT...

As Cliff was getting in the car, he forgot Gabe was with us and stood talking to the kids with his car door open.  Gabe bolted, and Monica's dog Suzy came running out to kill him.  OK, she wouldn't have killed him, but she doesn't cozy up to other dogs easily and she seemed to think he was a threat.  Gabe wasn't a bit worried about Suzy, because for the first time in his life he was a long way from home in a brand new environment with no restraints:  He had to explore!

He went trotting briskly through the parking area where they live, stricken with a case of sudden deafness.  I tried calling nicely, then began threatening him loudly as I hurried limping after him the best I could, with Cliff in the background letting anybody within a city block what he'd like to do to my dog.  Gabe would stop to mark a spot in that uncharted territory,  I'd draw nearer, and he'd head off again.  He really wasn't running from me, he was just excited to see and smell all the new things, and never gave me so much as a glance over his shoulder.  And he trots faster than I can run.  Finally he stopped to mark a particularly intriguing clump of grass and I pounced, grabbed his collar, and ended his adventure.

 He is now demoted, and won't get to ride with us anywhere unless one or the other of us will be staying in the car at all times.  He does seem to understand that Cliff is mad at him, because he's sticking right by my side, which he hadn't been doing so much lately.

That's all the excitement I want for one day, and as Cliff naps beside me on the couch and with Gabe asleep against my leg, I realize it doesn't take much to wear these three musketeers out; I'm ready for a nap myself.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great outing, until the Gabe adventure. I'm often lost, and am used to that, but men generally don't like that feeling. :) That must have been scary to have to chase Gabe around; Mari has escaped out of the screen door a couple of times, and catching a cat is quite a challenge. They never come when you call, and are extremely quick and agile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Been there, with my Chihuahua terrier mix. So frustrating to call and call them yell, all to no avail. She will come when she is ready. However, as she as got older, it not been as often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chasing a dog around would be beyond me for sure. It's a good thing I no longer heave one. I hate it when they get loose like that and have not so fond memories of chasing after other dogs I've owned. He is lucky to be alive. but I'm sure h had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss having a dog or a cat. I had both when I was in my own home. But Suzanne and Steve will not let me have one in the apartment. I do have the farrow cats I feed outside my front door. There are four or five of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hate chasing a dog especially since they have SUCH selective hearing. Anytime she gets off the bed, I need to leash her, even though she’s 15 years old. She loves car rides but cries piteously if I step out. Gabe seems to be a young adventurer. How could you not love him even when he’s a pain in the sit-down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *haha* Oh lordy, all that rigamaro for a cup of coffee. Oh the things we'll do and the lengths we'll go for our java. :-D I usually drink the instant stuff but once in awhile I'll buy coffee beans from Amazon cos I finally found one that doesn't affect my stomach & bowels. It's called Subtle Earth Organic Coffee in the "light roast" variety. Oh my goodness, do I love it... and as I say it's the first coffee I've ever had in my 63 years that doesn't bother my stomach & bowels. It's advertised as low in acid.

    We never took our dogs for car rides... so they never whined when we left. I guess they never missed what they didn't know. The same for our cats... we never ever let them go outside and therefore they really didn't know what that was. Whenever they'd hear the door open, they'd run away from it, rather than towards it.

    Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!