Friday, January 03, 2020

It's been a mild winter so far

I suppose that isn't saying much, since winter just started a couple of weeks ago.  But in my mind, winter starts November first and ends the first of March.  So we're well on our way through it, right?  We had one significant snow storm in December, but it only affected us for a couple of days.  I've seen winters that have been so much worse!  

I'll just talk to myself here, since I really don't have anything major to tell.  

The other night Cliff and I were looking in vain for some movie that might interest us.  We were browsing through what Netflix had to offer and I noticed "Rain Man" was available.  We discussed it; we'd both liked it.  It had been years since we'd seen it, and decided it would be fun to watch it again.  As it turned out, we had forgotten most of the story.  Oh, we knew the guy kidnapped his brother, hoping to get his share of his dad's inheritance, and that everything worked out in the end.  But all the little things that made the movie so great?  We had no recollection of those whatsoever.  

I'm telling you, it was the best movie we've watched in years.

On another note, Gabe has been bringing me presents.  I guess the spirit of the Christmas season must have gotten to him,  First, I must explain that he can easily hide something in his mouth and it doesn't even show, thanks to the Schnauzer beard.  I let him outside four days ago; when I called from the door, he was in a corner of the yard sniffing around and ignoring me; when I got really loud and threatening, I saw him scoop something off the ground into his mouth.  I figured it was a berry from the Bradford pear tree, or maybe an acorn.  Yes, he eats that kind of junk.  Is it any wonder he takes a puking fit every few days?  I assumed whatever he'd gotten into his mouth was on the way to his stomach and let him in when he got to the door.  I shut the door, turned toward the center of the room, and didn't see Gabe anywhere. "Gabe?" I called.  I walked down the hall toward the guest bedroom, back to the living room, and then through the kitchen.  As I walked in our bedroom I saw Gabe sitting proudly in his kennel with a dead sparrow at his feet.  Somebody just shoot me!  Then this afternoon, I had let him out for awhile; I went to call him in, and as I called, I saw him once more scoop something into his mouth:  This time when he got to the door, I forced his mouth open before I let him in.  Out fell as large a mole as I've seen lately.    

Cora, the kid we babysat for so long, spent Monday and Thursday here this week, and we're always glad to see her.  Her grandparents were watching her during her dad's week of the school's winter break; so we got to spend time with her, and the grandparents had a couple of days to themselves. 

Now that it's all said and done, I guess it's OK to mention that Cora's parents have divorced; they each have her every other week.  It seems to be working out for everyone at this point, and I think Mom, Dad, and Cora have all settled into their "new normal".

Cora told me about some of her Christmas gifts; one grandma got her lots of Barbie Clothes, and two huge Barbie houses.  I saw an opportunity to have a discussion with her about the collection of "Little People" stuff I accumulated while I was babysitting her.  "Now that you are into Barbies, you're sort of too big for Little People stuff, aren't you?"  She agreed.  "Really," I told her, "the Little People are more like baby toys, don't you think?"  She nodded in agreement.  

"Well then, since I don't have a lot of room here, and I really don't need all these toys around, don't you think it might be a good idea to let Monica and Natalie (two of my granddaughters who are expecting) have them for their babies?"  Cora agreed with me, and I thought, "Wow!  That was easy!"

Unfortunately, it only took her about ten minutes to have a change of heart.  She decided she might not be done with Little People after all; in fact, she thought we might just play with them that very day. 

I'm pretty sure that the child will be willing to relinquish them before too long.  The seed has been planted.  Once she has time to think about it, she will come around.  I'll keep suggesting that Little People are for babies and toddlers, not for big girls like her who like Barbies. 

Moving right along:  The book I'm reading now is "Burial Rites".  It's set in Iceland on 1829, inspired by a true story (and soon to be a movie).  Now, if ever a nation screamed "boring" to me, Iceland would be that country.  I started the book wondering just how interesting such a story could possibly be.  However, I'm over halfway through it and it's holding my attention just fine.  I have done several Google searches on Iceland, simply because I can't imagine why anyone would live there; why would anybody even settle there in the first place?  (Hint... they didn't like where they were living before.)  The climate is cool and dreary-sounding.  It seems incredible to me people can raise crops in such a short summer where it doesn't normally get all that warm. 

And there you have it... just small glimpses of my life, nothing earthshaking today.  Nothing hilarious, nothing sad... just me.  My work here is done.

5 comments:

  1. i'm on vacation at one of my son's but the kids at home have told me it is raining and sweatshirt weather there right now. Unusually warm for Ohio too. I still have my little people and house at home too and the grands still like to play with it too. I bought some games recently that I thought they might like more, more age appropriate but they wail lay with them. i'm not sure when it will be safe to let it go Guess I'll wait and see when they stop playing with it. Happy New Year! in case I havent said it. It sounds like you are off to a good start at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Rain Man in such a long time that I've forgotten the story. I'll have to watch it again.
    I kept hoping we'd get some snow for Christmas, but so far it's only rain. It's a chilly 35 degrees today and pouring rain.

    Gabe certainly seems to be in a gift-giving mood. A few years ago one of my cats put a dead mouse in my bed - on my PILLOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also reading "Burial Rites" and although it's fascinating in its setting, I'm having trouble keeping going since I know what happens. (true story and all) Like all of us, kids like to hold on to things sometimes; it's not that they want them or will play with them, it's more about the memories. We haven't had much of a winter yet either. Lately we seem to get hit with snow in February, so we'll see what happens then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love reading your blog even when you are just talking to yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just felt like we sat down for a cup of coffee and a catch-up to me.

    I might have to read "Burial Rites," or at least give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!