Thursday, January 09, 2020

I'm lost on the Internet

I'm in way over my head at this point.  Someone at church mentioned I can do genealogical searches through my library website.  So now I can read old papers, search for my relatives and ancestors, read magazines, and check out books... all free!  I've been wanting to do a genealogy search on Cliff's family, but I don't have much background on the Wood family.  So all I have on the tree so far is Cliff and his parents.  Apparently, though, I can't access my family tree on the library's link to Ancestry.  Still, I can look people and documents up and have them sent to me, I think.  I found my dad's first marriage license with my sister's mother, who died giving birth to my brother less than two years later.  That was interesting.  

Also!!!  There are all sorts of free classes online that I can access.  There are so many subjects, though, I don't know where to start.  However, it's better than staying on Facebook all day I guess, if I'm learning things.  Unfortunately, surfing the web in any form doesn't burn many calories; nor does it get the cooking and laundry done.  Cliff and I were sitting on the couch mid-morning today, enjoying our computers. "This is the life, isn't it?"  I said.  "You know what?" he answered, "You're right!" 

We have strange, brief conversations often. 

It's around 60 right now with a howling wind, but there's a cold front coming in soon.  I won't even guess which weather forecast is accurate for our area, since I've heard everything from just a little bit of precipitation to eight inches of snow.  At the least, it's probably going to get a little sloppy.  At worst... well, we won't talk about that.  I hope it doesn't ruin our Chiefs game Sunday.  

I can't even believe I care about a football game!  But since I mentioned it, let me show you a picture of our prized quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, dangling off his daddy's arm:

  
And my dog, my crazy Gabe.  This morning I couldn't get him to go outside without me going along, simply because the wind was blowing so hard.  After our noon meal, Cliff went outside to see what he could find to do.  Some time later I let Gabe outside and forgot all about him.  I heard the four-wheeler coming up out of the pasture, looked out the window, and Cliff drove by in the four-wheeler with Gabe riding shotgun, front paws on the dashboard watching the world go by.  What a sight!

Gabe reminds me of a two-year-old child.  I will step outside, notice him off at the edge of the yard, and call.  He will look up at me, then proceed to ignore me.  I beg, cajole, and belly-ache at him, telling him to come.  Finally I start walking toward him, griping all the way.  When I get about six feet away from him, he will act surprised I'm there and start running toward the house.  Really?  This is how he treats the person who feeds him? 

This is just me, checking in.  I'm diving back into the public library website now, to see what I can learn.  

Bye bye.



3 comments:

  1. I need to access my library resources more than I do! I'm sure there's lots there that I can use. John and I plan to check out(he's already done it) passes to museums and other sites. We got in free to the very expensive Seattle Aquarium with a library pass; it saved us $60.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband does geneology. he's managed to trace his family back many generations, even before they came to America. i also managed to trace my family back to early America where they helped establish several of the territories before they became states. you can find interesting stuff the farther back you go. my interest has waned. but my husband is still learning new things daily. good luck with your search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the ancestry search. I wouldn't know where to begin. Nice you have some options there with your library. I'm going to have to check to see what my library has to offer. At least it would be a start.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!