Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A life well lived

Cliff got the news yesterday that a cousin had passed away at his home in Versailles, Missouri, only a few months after his mother, Cliff's Aunt Gertrude, left this world.  Although the aunt died in a nursing home, she had been living with Darrell for some time before that, due to her declining health; this worked out well for both of them because they could help one another out.  Darrell had been in poor health for years:  He got around on a mobility scooter and used oxygen to help him breathe, due to the fact his lungs were hardening.  He knew, as we all did, his time was limited.  Still, it was a shock when Cliff got the phone call.  I guess I assumed he'd be going to a hospital before he passed, or perhaps put on hospice.  

Maybe he wanted to die at home, though.  Most people wish for that gift.  

We saw Darrell occasionally before his mom died because she was living with him; he always knew the best place to eat in any town, and could give directions around various cities across the country as though he'd been everywhere!  I liked and admired him.  He was an expert on race cars.  He'd had ups and downs in his life, as we all do, but dealt with anything that came his way with common sense and humor. 

Because I'm a person who doesn't make friends easily, and have even been known to "push" folks away if they get too chummy, I do not have close friends.  I have one good friend who would do anything, even risk death, for me:  my husband.  Which is why, in my mind, the most amazing thing about Darrell was that he seemed to have so many genuine friends.  I try to imagine what it would be like to have such friends.  It's my own fault I don't, because I pull away when people start to get too close.  Folks, real friendships take work on both sides.  I'm lazy, and I'm selfish, and very much a loner.  I should add, though, that I do have many people who love me anyway, even if they can't break through my barrier.  

As I think about Cliff's cousin, here's what comes to mind:  Even when he had to use a scooter to get around, Darrell was helping folks.  He would drive older ladies to get their chemo and radiation, and take people to church when they couldn't get there on their own.  I'm sure he gave automotive advice to anyone who asked.   He hosted a men's Bible study in his home.



I went to his Facebook status and scrolled down; There was the last Youtube video he posted:  The Old Rugged Cross.   I believe Darrell had one foot in heaven for quite a while; all he had to do was take a step across the Jordan when it was time.  

His greatest testimony, though, was that he had so many true friends from every walk of life, each one a star in his crown.  I smiled at a remark he made on Facebook the day after that Bible study session:  

"Darrell Bias Danny Saville that guy who rode his motorcycle last night Made me cold when he rode away BRRRRR
THANKS FOR COMING GOOD GROUP OF GUYS 2 BIKERS . 2 HOT RODDERS . A COWBOY . THEN THE REST LOL"

Darrell lived the principle set forth in Proverbs 18:24:  "A man who has friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." 

I sure am glad I knew him.





10 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute. Your family and our planet lost a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you gave him a fine tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great tribute to Claff's cousin. How nice to be remembered as a friend. They are so important in our lives and do help to make us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, in “real life” I have few real physical friendships I know people but I don’t allow them to know me- to get close. I push them away. My own funeral will be sparsely attended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a wonderful person, and his death is a great loss for his friends and family. Although I'm on the introvert spectrum, I'm a very outgoing one, so friendships aren't difficult for me. Maintaining them does take work and effort though. Sometimes I don't have the time or energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Darrell was a great friend of my husband, he will be missed. He had a lot of friends, he would hep anyone ne in need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such kind words. I know personally you have more friends than you know who would risk their lives for you. You are just such a wonderful person ❤️! The gifts you share are different than Darrell's, but not any less blessed to those around you. I have grown to love you in just a few years, so I can't imagine the number of wonderful people who have grown to love you over your lifetime! Here's a big hug! I thank God for you two often during my prayer time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so sorry to hear about cliff's cousin passing. he sounded like quite a guy. you have my deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have met people like Darrell at different times of my life. I hope that a few people over the years will remember me a poignantly as you have remembered Darrell. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute. Some people have that wonderful gift of hospitality. My mother did too. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!