Sunday, October 20, 2013

Those old hymns

On the way home from my aunt's funeral Thursday, my sister and I got to talking about the old hymns we used to sing at church.  
Maxine quoted a friend of hers who said, "These days, they only sing 7/11 songs at church:  Seven words, repeated eleven times."  
My sister and I were raised in the Church of Christ, and I just assumed they still sang the old hymns; Maxine said no, they don't sing a lot of those.  
"You know," I said, "back in the old days, the preacher might preach a boring sermon, but every song we sang preached a sermon all by itself."  

And I began to sing, "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.  I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.  On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, All other ground is sinking sand."  

My sister joined in and sang along.  Cliff just kept driving.  

I do know of one little tiny, local church where they sing the old hymns, and sing them with gusto.  We visited there a few weeks ago, and would have gone back today, had Cliff not been coughing his head off with a cold.  I have a deep hunger for those old songs.  It may not be next week or the next, but I know we will be visiting Napoleon United Methodist Church again before too long.    

I need those songs. 

6 comments:

  1. Would have liked to have been a spider under the seat listening to you girls sing. I was raised in the Methodist church. Love those old songs like Onward Christian Soldiers and In The Garden, so many more. When I get one in my head I can sing it all day even though I can't carry a tune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those old songs too, and the rituals of my youth in church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SINGING is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the old hymns too. Thankfully my church includes a mixture of both. The old and the new so that I still get to sing them now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree totally. We used to attend a Baptist church that would sing the old hymns in the morning service and the 7-11 (what were called "praise songs") at the much more informal evening service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, precious memories
    how I miss singing
    now it's 7 / 11
    words all refraining
    Not even a song book
    words upon the wall
    No Fanny Crosby's
    Praise song is all
    Love and adoring
    themes are so great
    Once preacher starts
    it is mostly hate?




    ReplyDelete

I love comments!