Friday, July 22, 2011

What was I thinking?

Perhaps spring fever was the cause, but after successfully dealing with a garden that was small by my old standards for three years, this year I had Cliff plow up another sector in addition to the old plot.  
The weeds, of course, got ahead of me.  The weeds defeated me, and by biting off more than I could chew, I took all the joy out of what had been, for the past three years, a pleasure.  
Next year I'm downsizing.  
Never mind the weeds, I'm also having my usual problems with tomato blight and squash bugs.  
 You can see the blighted plants in this picture.  The melon vines on the right are looking good so far, but they take up so much room!  More room means more places for crabgrass to grow.  

On the left of the tomatoes, I had Cliff plant sweet potatoes the day I got home from the hospital.  I checked to see how much space they should need and instructed Cliff.  I don't know if you can tell it, but they are now growing up the tomato cages, and I can't pick tomatoes without stomping sweet potato vines.  
This is the damage done to my earliest tomatoes by a hailstorm a few weeks ago.  
If you think the weeds and grass in the above garden pictures are bad, it's worse in the other plot.  Yes, I am ashamed and discouraged.  I was so stupid to take on that much.  
Next year will be different, that I will promise.  I want it to be fun again.  I may not even plan on canning or freezing anything, but hopefully I will enjoy my garden and not feel guilt and shame every time I look at it.  
On the plus side, we're having BLT's today.

4 comments:

  1. wish I could be right over I love BLT's with fresh tomatoes.Don't forget the onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband did that once too and we quickly went back to just growing a few things. This year our beans and tomatoes are not doing well at all; we need more sun. Our flowers are doing great--too bad we can't eat them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have done good considering that operation you had done. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are being way too hard on yourself. You had surgery not so long ago. So things got a little bit of of control in the garden. It's yielding some things. Next year will be better. ENJOY what you have. Fresh veggies are a luxury some don't have.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!