Tuesday, March 15, 2011

News and notes from around the homestead

I'm back to milking Bonnie-the-Jersey-cow when we need milk.  Good stuff, that raw milk.  
We had about five inches of snow yesterday; it's gone today.  In the garden, the lettuce, spinach, and radishes are up.  Only the peas have yet to germinate, but of course they take longer.    
I mudded in some onion plants today.  I've always used sets in the past, but my onions would split and rot, and didn't keep very well; I'm hoping by using plants I'll get better results.  I found an excellent website that seemed to be telling me the plants make better keeping onions than the sets.  
Yesterday I bought a few seed potatoes to plant on St. Patrick's Day; I'll get some Yukon Gold seed potatoes later on to plant on Good Friday.  
The tomato plants in the mini-greenhouses are almost all up, although they haven't put on their true leaves yet.  The peppers are still taking their sweet time; every day I have a long talk with them, telling them the tomatoes are way ahead of them so they'd better hurry up.    
Hyacinths are poking through the ground in the flowerbed.  So are last year's tulips, but of course they won't be as pretty as they were their first year.  
I'll get back to my regular blogging before long; right now, that's about all there is to tell.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that that milk does taste wonderful. I hope this year will be a good gardening season for you. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the potatoes with the 2 planting times. I always enjoy hearing about what you have growing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!