Sunday, March 27, 2011

limbo

I know that spring is coming; it's just around the bend.
I'm sure that warmer temperatures will visit us again.  
Next weekend, so they tell me, the weather will be nice
But now things are in limbo, the world as cold as ice.   


Sonya left a comment wondering what I'm doing, with Cliff gone.  Let me assure you it's nothing practical!  I imagine most housewives would take this opportunity to straighten their closets or deep-clean their cupboards.  Not me.  This return of winter weather has me a little depressed; after only two days of springlike weather with buds swelling and seeds in the garden popping up, it's as though it never happened.  Now, I realize this little pause in springtime is a good thing:  The peach tree has blooms on the verge of opening; had those blooms opened up before this cold snap, we would have lost this years' peach crop.  
This does little to help my mood, though.  So I've gone into hibernation mode.  
Of course I spend time on Facebook's Farmville, although I must say I'm getting a little tired of it.  Once spring is here full force, I'll probably do as I did last year and leave my farm untended, blocking it from view.  Zynga has messed with my little Farmville world more than I would like anyhow, giving me a new farm in England.  However, crops will only grow on one farm or the other, so I have to stop all development on my old farm if I want things to grow in England.  I think this whole England thing was supposed to breathe new life into the game and get people interested, but it's making me lose interest rapidly.  My apologies to my readers who neither know nor care about Farmville, but I thought I'd throw that in.
    
I've been reading a lot.  I am so glad that Jeanie steered me toward the Nook, as opposed to Kindle, because I am reading a lot of library books.  Right now I'm reading "American Rose:  The Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee".  It's holding my interest quite well.  
Last week I started reading "The Saxon Chronicles", but I grew bored with all the blood, guts and killing and returned the book ahead of time after reading perhaps 1/4 of it.  The book had some great reviews; it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Books I have on hold are "Washington, A Life",  "Let's Take the Long Way Home", and "My Father at 100" by Ron Reagan.  Let's hope those don't all become available at once, because I'm number one on the waiting list for two of them, and number two on the other.  Even with this weather keeping me house-bound, I can't read that much!  
This morning I'll milk Bonnie, and later on I'm going to the church that we locals call "the old German Church".  A neighbor invited me for "friend Sunday".  I think the two granddaughters are going to accompany me, although sometimes they plan things for a Sunday and then decide they don't want to get out of bed early enough to go anywhere.  
When I spoke with Cliff on the phone yesterday, he sounded like he was having a blast with his brother.  This was perfect timing, since we have such incredibly bad weather; he would have been scrounging for something to keep him busy in the shop, here at home.  
So that's how my weekend of "batching it" is going.  Life is on hold until spring returns.

9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean...this cold weather is putting me back in that hibernation mode too. It's only 25 degrees here this morning. I've been busy inside with lots to do but I long to be outside. I hope your Sunday is a great one there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did it snow where you are? we just have COLD air here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. False advertising.... I was expecting dance pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how close the movie "Gypsy" starring Natalie Wood comes to the book. I may have to add it to my list of stuff to read.
    Finished my James Patterson book yesterday. Of course it ended with the beginning to the next story so I suppose I'll have to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mentioned the latest book you're reading, "American Rose: The Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee". I just bought a copy of it for my Kindle with some left over Christmas money. But first I have to finish "Unfamiliar Fishes." It's okay, I suppose. Hope Cliff gets back safe and sound. Take comfort in the notion, spring will eventually take hold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, aside from the cooking, it has been pretty boring here too. We've already got our sight set on gardening and the cold spell is always a set back. We get spoiled every year. Still, I have tried to make the most of it, just as you are there, by reading. I have finished two books this weekend. And about to start the third.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we say in Maine 'it is just wicked cold here'. With the windchill it is downright miserable and I am in such a need of getting outside and walking but that's going to wait until it warms up a bit! Glad Cliff is having a great time with his brother and that you got the med thing taken care of!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather is lousy here too! It's rainy, dreary & cold! Where did our dear Spring go? I want it back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Sometimes I really like boring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!