Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The day approaches

Today I can only drink fluids like pop, black coffee, tea, and bouillon.  At 3 o'clock, I will mix some Miralax powder with a half-gallon of Crystal Light and then take a couple of Dulcolax tablets.  I'm supposed to polish the Crystal Light mixture off within two hours, then take more Dulcolax tablets.  
I can only imagine how much fun this is going to be.
Yes, friends and neighbors, I'm finally getting that colonoscopy the medical people have been nagging me about for years; tomorrow is the day for the procedure.  
Wouldn't you know, I developed a cold yesterday.  I wanted to make sure that wouldn't interfere with tomorrow's activities, so I called.  No, the nurse said, a cold wouldn't be reason to delay the whole business.  I'm glad; I just want to get it over.  Hopefully there won't be any polyps and I won't have to think about having this done for another ten years.  I'll be seventy-six then, and I may just skip the whole thing.  
Granddaughter Natalie told me that if I have to have this done every ten years, I'll be having it five more times in my life.  She must think I'm going to live a long, long time.     
There's a little cough accompanying this cold, and I'm wondering how that will turn out, taking all these laxatives and then coughing.  Wish me luck.  Maybe I'll just take my Nook reader into the bathroom and stay there, reading.  
Everyone I've talked to who's had a colonoscopy tells me it's the preparation that's the worst part.  I'm looking at the bright side:  I figure if I'm going to poop that much after a day of not eating, surely I'll lose a couple of pounds... right?  
Wish me luck.  

15 comments:

  1. Good luck to ya. Yes, the preparation is the worst part... the whole thing doesn't last too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my Hubby's worst part was having to eat/drink liquids all day...ha. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck! I hope everything comes out ok. Pun intended. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are braver than I. I still have never had one of those things and am not planning on it in the near future either. Sure hope the day goes by fast for you and soon it will be all over. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had three so far. Have a family history of colon cancer so try to be vigilant. The preparation definitely is the worst part. You'll be pretty much knocked out during the actual exam so won't experience any discomfort or memory of the event. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying everything goes well for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki1:45 PM

    Three o'clock is almost here, thinking about you and that ring around the hiney you'll have. Good Luck! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope everything comes out alright. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The prep is the worst part! I didn't mind the pooping part; it was the taste of the stuff. It was nauseating. At least you can get lots of reading done. And after the colonoscopy, you won't have to go to the bathroom for a couple of days. :) I had some polyps so I'm due up again this year, I think. I may skip it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying that things go well and no polyps. Hope that cold gets better also. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'll be fine so long as you can stand the added 'pressure' of a cough. Yeah the day of the procedure is nothing. I was downtown eating breakfast by 8;30 am on my last one. I always try to carry on a nice conversation, (it seems all of the people in the room are from my little home town) and the next thing I know they're saying you can get dressed now Cliff.
    When you're drinking the prep, you'll know you're ready when you start making a sound like a toilet flushing every time you take a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am proud of you! And you are a good example for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck!! Best of luck to you on it! (and yes, the preparation is the worst part, I think).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, my turn is coming later in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think having a day of just clear liquids would drive me insane! I guess I am never having a colonoscopy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!