Thursday, February 08, 2007

about books and reading

One of my daily journal reads is "Ramblings From The Reservation". I don't have a clue as to how I discovered that particular blog... probably followed a link from someplace else, noticed the horses, and put her in bloglines. (If you go visit her, please tread softly... she seems to have a bit of seasonal affective disorder at present.) Today she was on the subject of books she's reading.

So when I came here to make an entry, I saw the paperback, "Koko", which I've been trying my best to get into for at least a month, over there on the sidebar. It's supposed to be riveting and suspenseful, but I just cannot stay with it. And the thing is, I have some really good books waiting in the wings. I only paid a quarter for "Koko" at a garage sale, so it wasn't a big investment. It's time to switch books.

When Cliff and I travel, he's the chauffeur, since I don't drive. He doesn't enjoy travel (unless we're on the Honda Gold Wing). Years ago we were heading home from an antique tractor show in Minnesota; I'd bought the book, "Old Tractors and the Men Who Love Them". Cliff was dreading the long drive back to Missouri, and I casually suggested I read a few pages of our new book to him.

I finished the whole thing before we got home, and the hours of freeway time had whizzed by for both of us. Cliff is hard of hearing, so I was (and am) thankful for strong vocal chords and a loud mouth. Reading that book set a precedent: Cliff may have to do all the driving, but now I am doing my part to make freeway time enjoyable.

These days, when I acquire a book, I have to make the decision whether to save it for a road trip (will Cliff like this one?) or read it for myself. I don't need many "road trip" books, since Cliff would never travel, given his choice (not by car anyhow). James Patterson is great for long drives: He holds our interest, and his books are in two-to-three page chapters, so it's easy to find a stopping place when I need to take a break.

Gee. Now I'm ready for a road trip!

1 comment:

  1. lol, do I sound fragile? luckily, deep down I am pretty strong but things just havent been swell lately.

    Im not sure how you happened upon my blog either but I am happy you did! I always make time to visit you, one of my fellow horse loving, country living friends :)

    James Patterson is good for long car rides! I read'Honeymoon' not too long ago. I found a great used book store in Bartlesville, now thats where Ive been buying a lot of my books.

    Have a super thursday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!