Friday, March 29, 2013

Sunny day, everything's A-OK



It was such a lovely morning, I had the theme from from Sesame Street going through my head.  I took lots of pictures during the walk, so here you have them.  Click on any picture to make it larger.

Can you see the geese overhead?
Crystal
Mama Kitty often walks with us
She takes time out to clean up a bit.  She'll catch up later.

Jenny followed awhile, but never got close enough to touch.  I'm working on her.

Gracie will be shedding those horns one of these days.  I hope it happens before fly season.

Mama Kitty, still following.

The cows went out to the point around eight o'clock, and are still out there as I write this after four P.M.  The grass looks too short to graze, but they must be finding something to put in their bellies.

Horses can nip that grass when it's barely out of the ground.  They have front teeth top and bottom, while cows only have front teeth on the bottom.  For this reason, horses are very hard on pasture.  They nip it so close, they kill the grass.  Cliff will re-seed the pasture if it gets too bad.

I planted peas and potatoes today and did lots of tilling, getting ready to plant other stuff later on.  I also spent a lot of time finding a short in the electric fence, but I did have success with that.  I've already walked more today than yesterday.
Someone the other day asked me and Cliff about our garden, and after we answered his questions he said, "But you know, you can buy a can of green beans on sale for fifty cents."
Some people just don't get it.  It's the experience of gardening I love, getting out there in springtime after being shut in all winter.  The great flavor of those home-grown fruits and vegetables is just a bonus.  Here's a poem I wrote in 1992 that came to mind today:


2/21
HOPE,FAITH,AND LOVE

It's hope that orders garden seed,in winter's snow and wind.
Although the world is frozen, hope can see it born again!
It's faith that plants the tiny seeds, though spring has not arrived.
The seeds look dry and dormant, but Faith whispers, "They're alive!"
It's love that tends the growing plants and prays for rain and sun:
Love hoes and weeds and labors, till the garden season's done.
When I work in my garden, it reminds me, row by row,
That hope and faith and love together make the Christian grow.





5 comments:

  1. Spring is coming very slowly to Upstate NY this year, but it is making for a great maple syrup year. I am going to try potatoes in a garbage can this year or make a bin out of stakes and chicken wire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed coming along on your walk. The poem was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a blessing to see the sun here too yesterday. I love the poem. It's wonderful that you can and do have a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful walk! We are supposed to have a sunny weekend although it's foggy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the SS theme song playing in my head as I scrolled through your pictures. It was a nice combination. Yes, growing your own veggies is as much a sensory experience, a work of love, a work of art and craft, as it is simply providing food for your family. And that food is going to be so much healthier for you. And a lot of people will spend a few cents more for fresh produce from a vegetable stand than they would for fresh or canned in a grocery, so what's the difference?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!