Friday, February 01, 2013

Window shopping

We've been hitting the road and going someplace for the last couple of days, and I think we'll do it again today.  Cliff needs some new shoes.  We aren't big on shopping, either of us, but when the weather is wretched, it gets us off the property and out of the house.  
Cliff and I are done with recliners.  There are two in the living room, one for each of us.  Cliff hasn't used his for ages because every time he sat in it for a couple of hours, he'd get down in the back.  I'm still using mine, but only because there's no other suitable chair to use.  We're also needing a mattress.  I'm the one who has never been bothered by back problems, but old age is catching up with me.  Sometimes I feel like I need to call in a crane to help me turn over in bed.  
So we went to Richmond and sat in a lot of chairs.


I wouldn't get this color, but this was the most comfy chair I tried out.  I'm a little concerned about how well a wooden rocker-type chair will hold up if I'm using it every day.  It has a three-year warranty.  I found another comfortable arm chair I liked fine, and one cheaper one that would do for company, because I don't care how comfortable my guests are.  If they get too comfortable, they might not go home.  


I love how nothing in this furniture store ever has the actual price on it.  This one was actually priced at $550 for queen size set.  They must figure people think it's a great deal if they get to pay less than the ticket price.  


We both tried the mattress out, and I think this is the one for us.  

Now to figure out where we'll get the money for these items.  I don't look for a huge tax refund, since nobody is working a job around here.  So that's out.  I refuse to touch the emergency fund to buy furniture.  Cliff's tractor fund is sacred.  We buy nothing on credit except gasoline. 
Oh well, we'll figure something out.  If not, we're getting by with what we have.  
Of course, the sensible thing to do is prioritize these items and get one at a time.  Yeah, that sounds like a possibility.  In that case, my chair gets top priority.

7 comments:

  1. Check out the sleep number beds. Best mo.ey I have ever spent. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would sleep on the floor before I'd pay that much for a mattress. Besides, we do not have that kind of money even if we wanted one. We're on Social Security, remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently got a chair similar to the one you looked at. I had the money from selling my camper. It didn't have a footstool, but I found one in Target that I liked to use with it. I tried out all the chairs in the store the day I got it and thankfully the one I got was on sale...half price. I can't do recliner chairs either but if I want I can put my feet on the stool and lean back in the rocker. I needed a new mattress a few years ago and the price was out of sight so I got one of those miracle foam pads about 3 inches thick for $89 and put it on top my old mattress. It works like a charm. Good luck with the shoe shopping. Its hard to find some comfortable ones and they usually cost more than what I want to pay, but I do, cause my feet are pretty picky. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a recliner person but I had a friend (now deceased) who use to say she had to go home because she could hear her recliner calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfort is the most important thing, especially if your back is hurting. Is it worse when you get up so the bed would be a priority? My mom has back problems and she says that sitting is terrible.Standing or lying down is best. (not that you can do that all the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've both had back surgery and needed a new mattress. We actually found one at Sportsman Guide online that was only about $400 and delivered to the house. I wasn't too sure about that but we unfolded it and it works great! A memory foam type that is 12" thick. Seems most of the mattresses are thicker these days too. Had to buy new sheets too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought one of those rockers like the one in the picture 14 years ago (when I was pregnant with Adrian) and it is still going strong....and I can fit that cushions on my washing machine so that's a big bonus as well...
    ....and the mattress....we just bought an average mattress and then bought a 3 in memory foam pad to put on top. man, I love that thing so much...hee hee....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!