Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's so easy to lose weight

Yes, I said it.  I have lost at least 1,000 pounds in my lifetime.  It's the staying on track that's hard.  We don't feel deprived.  We don't diet, we simply eat the right things in the right portions.  We don't buy low-fat or sugar-free, with the exception of sugar-free Jello because Cliff likes having one thing around that he can eat any time, as much as he wants.  And I use Sweet-and-Low in our tea (because we prefer the taste) and on cereal.  When we're eating right, I make sure we get the proper amount of fruits and vegetables. It really is a lifetime method and there is no reason why we should slip and gain weight back again.  We can eat anything we want!
This morning, for instance, we had a great big blueberry, whole--wheat pancake with syrup AND butter.

That's a full-size plate, and the pancake almost covered it.  375 calories all told, which is about what our loaded oatmeal usually amounts to.  This morning I informed Cliff of this and he said, "Then we can have pancakes every day!"  
I informed him that we ARE going to have other things besides flour and sugar for breakfast, but we could have pancakes once a week.  We do the same with bacon and eggs.  Once a week.    
I've tried to analyze things and try to figure out what gets us so off-track that we gain all our weight back every. single. time.  Best I can tell, it's eating out.  Higginsville has the very best Pizza Hut, so every time we're in Higginsville at mid-day, we HAVE to have the pizza buffet.  If we're in Blue Springs, Olive Garden calls my name.  Lately we have been waiting until right after our noon meal to go anywhere we might be tempted.  That takes all the temptation away.  
Anyhow, my goal this time around is not losing weight, so much as keeping on track and eating healthy for the rest of our lives.  We can eat out once a week, even eat too much while we're eating out, as long as we don't eat out more often than that.  
I quit smoking many times before I finally quit for good.  I hope something clicks in my brain that will let this be the last time I ever have to worry about losing the excess weight.  Wish me luck.  

Cliff is ready to walk, so I hope there aren't too many typos here.  We want to get our walk in before the 12 inches of snow is on the ground.

3 comments:

  1. That's what my Mom always used to say, Donna. I think she got it from Jack LaLane... a big exercise & fitness guru "back in the day". He used to say (I think that's where Mom got it) that you can eat anything you want to eat... but in moderation. I believe that's true.

    Enjoy your walk. We've been spared here in northern Indiana both this winter & last... all the big snows, which usually dump on us, have dodged us. I'm not complaining. Stay safe with all that snow coming your way.

    Blessings--Andrea
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've maintained the same weight here for about 10 years now. It may go up or down a little sometimes, but I'm happy with it. I eat what I want when I want, but I know the portion size is much less than what it used to be. I don't diet but I'm happy I can still wear most of my clothing and feel pretty good too. Portions do make a difference . I didn't do this intentionally either, I'm just not as hungry as I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gained about 10 pounds but I think I needed to because I was way too thin for a while. I would like to drop 5 pounds or so though. (no more or my face gets too skinny and I look like a ferret)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!