Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I planted garden today

How do you like my little flags?  In years past I have tried to mark rows to tell what is planted there and I always get things mixed up.  Of course I know what tomato seedlings look like, but I have different varieties and I want to know what's what.  I didn't mark the head lettuce and cabbage because I only planted one variety of each, and I know what those two things look like when they sprout.    
I've had people ask why I plant so many tomatoes:  it's because of blight, plain and simple.  I know for sure blight will rear its ugly head every year, and I plant a lot of tomatoes hoping I will get enough of them canned before blight shows up.  Sometimes I do, sometimes not.  
My gardens are mediocre at best.  Once crabgrass shows up, there is never another weed-free moment. I am not ambitious enough to keep up with the weeds and bugs.  Nevertheless, we are still eating tomatoes, peppers, peaches, strawberries, and sweet potatoes from last years garden.  Not bad, for a mediocre garden.  
Speaking of my lack of ambition, I will be very surprised if the seeds in the above tray ever make it outside.  I have a tendency to get bored with projects like this and stop watering them.  
We shall see.
Oh, by the way:  Cliff is over whatever plague that put him out of commission for a couple of days.

4 comments:

  1. I have used similar little flaggies before.. works great! I'm never thrilled with my garden. I think it's the plot/location itself.. could be at least partly the gardener's (my) fault too ;) Is it still snowing where you are? We can't seem to get rid of it! Still.coming.down.. sheesh. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking forward to seeing how your garden grows. Nice thing to do on a winter day! Thankful that Cliff is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are doing great to get that done. I haven't even thought about the garden and here it nearly March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Cliff is doing better. I love reading about your garden, even if you do think it's mediocre. I'm so glad March is tomorrow. I'm tired of all this rain and the up and down temperatures. So far we have had very little snow, but you never know. The next big one could hit us.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!