Friday, February 22, 2013

Digging out

Cliff to the rescue!

There are some big drifts out there.  Cliff made paths through the snow to everywhere I might need to go when I'm outside.  I was going to try using something for a sled and sliding down one of our hills, but after trudging through the snow as much as I did yesterday, I guess I had better pass.  I may be tempting fate being out in the snow so much with my artificial knee.  
We saw pictures on the news of empty grocery store shelves where people had frantically bought food preparing for the storm.  This always amazes me, because even in the worst times when I haven't been to the store in two weeks, I can always come up with plenty to eat.  Back when I wasn't milking a cow, I made sure to have a small box of powdered milk on hand just in case I ran out, and evaporated milk also.  If I happened not to have any bread, I could make biscuits or bread.  Of course, living in the country where you can't run to the store any old time helps one to be prepared.  
I made taco soup yesterday.  Cliff's sister next door came over and ate with us since the snow kept her home, and there's enough left for the three of us to have it again today.  As we were eating yesterday, enjoying it thoroughly, I suddenly remembered I had forgotten to add the onions.  It was really tasting good until that realization, but then it lacked a little something... my imagination, I'm sure.  I keep chopped onions in the freezer, so before I put our leftover soup away I cooked 3/4 of a cup of those in a little water and added them to the soup.  Today I'm sure it will be perfect!  Taco soup is one of those things that's such a treat to me, I'm sad when it's gone.  
I've been separating Jody from her calf for a few hours each day, then milking her.  I have to separate them because I want to make sure her udder is fully emptied at some point each day, and she won't let her milk down for me unless the calf is nursing first.  Eventually she will, she just has to get used to the routine.  I was very surprised at the cream content of her milk.  She gives a LOT of cream.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I too am always amazed at the panic that ensues before a storm. People need to be more prepared for stuff like this. But ya know I think a lot of people run out and buy "junk" so they don't have to cook or what have you. I take the snow days as a time to relax and I enjoy cooking. Since I have things put away in the freezer and canned I always have supplies for meals. But I did make sure to get a few gallons of milk on Monday because I don't have a milk cow!

    Inga

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that Cliff has that tractor and push some of your snow around for you. I was wondering how you faired there. All we got was a light snow followed by sleet here and now rain. It's pretty slippery out so I went out and salted the front steps and walk for the mailman. Course he's been dealing with it all day I'm sure. I'm like you and could eat on what I have here for at least a couple weeks. I always keep the pantry stocked as I buy the items as they go on sale. Take good care in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, when did you start asking permission? Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last minute dash to the store always leaves me shaking my head, especially since we usually get the storm warning a couple of days before it hits ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a LOT of snow! (to a wimpy Washingtonian anyway) What is in your taco soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Dad was close enough to do MY driveway. LOL Poor Kevin shoveled enough to get my car in, and the Neon is stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Embarrassed to being getting excited about the possibility of 6 inches here in a day or two. That taco soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!