Saturday, February 16, 2013

Reading my life away


I discovered a new (to me) author yesterday:  Robert B. Parker.  When I mentioned him on Facebook, several friends and relatives seemed amazed that I wasn't familiar with him; one guy pointed out that the TV series "Spenser For Hire" was based on his "Spencer" series.  I asked Cliff if he was familiar with it, and he was.  I don't recall ever watching it.  
Here's how I discovered the guy:  I have put a hold on a couple of ebooks at the library that I want to read, but meanwhile, I figured I'd find something available that I could read until it becomes my turn to read the ones I'm waiting on.  I found "Night and Day" and was hooked before I was finished with the first chapter.  
What people don't realize is that I had had no access to books for years, unless I bought them.  The library is eight miles away and I don't drive.  Thanks to the invention of e-readers, I've experienced a renaissance of reading.  I can't get enough!  


Someone suggested I should start with the first in a series (Spenser,  Jesse Stone, or one of the others) and read the books in order.  Well, I can't do that because the library doesn't have all of them.  I'm not going to pay ten bucks each to buy the ones that aren't in the library.  I could go to half.com and buy actual books pretty cheaply, but I haven't finished reading the Waylon Jennings autobiography yet because holding a real book wears me out.  I never realized how tedious it can be to read an actual book!  You can't lay it down or you'll lose your place.  You have to use both hands to hold it.  I'll admit it, I'm lazy and spoiled!  
So, I'll probably read whatever of the Robert Parker books I can get, in whatever order they present themselves.  That's how I've done with John Sandford's Prey series; sometimes it's interesting to go back in a character's history and be surprised to find clues to why the main character behaves as he does in the later books.   
I do occasionally purchase a book for my Nook, but when I do, I try to make it one that is so good I'll want to read it more than once; and with all the books to which I have access these days, I hate to waste time re-reading anything!  
Books are the icing on the cake of my retirement.





6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of his books and don't remember the series at all but will have to check his books out. I love to read but rarely buy books for my Kindle. There are too many good free ones out there. I love to read and always do a lot of it. I agree there is nothing like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read! My girls got me a little tablet for Christmas. It has kindle on it. Someone told me you can load Nook on it. I take it with me when I go to dialysis and have to sit for 4 hours before I come off.It is so great to be able to read!! We do have TV we can watch but Can only handle so much tv! My blog will not let me post .When Karen gets time maybe she can fix it. Love reading about your farm life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought me a nook a while back and since getting it I love to read. I've read eight books now. I bought a few but like MA i get the free one's. I haven't read a one that I didn't enjoy and if I don't like one I can just delete it out. Take care, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally get books from the library--either real ones or e-books. However, my department got me a $100 amazon gift card which has meant that I've gotten in the bad habit of buying whatever books I want. Eek. I love Parker, as you know. I've never read a bad book by him, although some I've liked better than others. I went into mourning when he suddenly died. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of Robert B. Parker but I do remember "Spencer For Hire". It was on TV for three seasons and starred actor Robert Urich (I think he is now deceased).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert Parker is one of my favorites and I am bereft by his demise. Guess it is time to start the Spencer series over from the beginning...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!