Monday, January 08, 2007

Remembering Jack Paar

Someone on a message board posted the old joke about the wayside church/water closet, and it reminded me of the time in 1960 when Jack Paar, then host of the Tonight Show, was censored for telling the joke. Then the drama of his resigning, and returning.

Jack was an emotional person, and I remember seeing him cry at sad stories. I also remember him angry, getting in a huge verbal interchange with Mickey Rooney.

He had up-and-coming Fidel Castro on the show, giving him his full support. Oh yeah.

I was in high school back then, and should have been in bed; but I was afraid I'd miss something!

Amazing what can send me on a trip down memory lane these days. I went to youtube.com and found a video of Richard Nixon on the Jack Paar Show that I put in the previous entry.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are feeling better!

    Yes, it is funny how one thing can bring up a memory and lead to more things you hadn't thought of in a long time...

    I remember Jack Paar and Steve Allen had late shows lol.. gads they were funny though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!