Friday, January 12, 2007

bad weather day



Cliff and I started out for our walk this morning. He put on his coveralls, because a cold front had come through overnight; I did not wear mine because they hinder movement, and make me expend much more energy than is comfortable.

Now we're not wimps. We've been known to proceed with our walks with temps near zero. But there was something about the cold north wind in our faces that made 25 degrees seem unbearable. We hadn't gotten out of sight of the house yet, when I said, "For two cents, I'd go back to the house."

"Let's go," Cliff said.


And we turned around, much to the dismay of our dog, Sadie, whose whole day revolves around being turned loose in the pasture.

It was sleeting, and I got word that school would let out before noon.


When the granddaughters got here, Cliff offered to go to Pizza Hut. A very rare treat for one like me who dreams of pizza, but whose husband had a repaired heart and shouldn't have all that cholesterol and salt. Hopefully, once in a blue moon it won't hurt him.

My son-in-law got off work early because of the weather, so the girls left before 4 PM; Cliff was at work, but I decided to try the walk again, mainly for the dog's sake. This time I wore coveralls, because the thermometer said it was twenty degrees. I took extra time throwing sticks for Sadie, so what is usually a half-hour stroll took forty-five minutes. But we both felt better for doing it. My horse, Blue, followed us halfway out into the pasture.

Back at the house, I took my neglected guitar out of its case and sang as long as my tender fingers would let me strum: "Till Each Tear Becomes A Rose", "We Could", "Dead Little Girl of Hiroshima (I Come and Stand At Every Door), "How Can I Keep From Singing". Yep, that's about it. I need to get those callouses built up on my fingertips again!

1 comment:

  1. Brrrr... looks and sounds COLD! Hard to believe that the weather is so raw over so much of the country and it has been in the mid 70's low 80's here for the last couple of days, and should continue at least thru Sunday.

    We had a cold snap last week while the lady who's horses I care for was in town. She put blankets on the poor babies. I need to show her a picture of Blue so she can see that 30 and a little wind doesn't require a blanket! I understand her putting blankets on her well-groomed, short-haired performing horses, but my old guys all have winter hair! Oh well, it made her feel better and didn't hurt the guys LOL!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!