Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Libby under saddle


Libby has had a saddle on her back before, but today was the first time I actually cinched it up on her. I ponied her for about twenty minutes under saddle, and she did very well, with only a little cavorting when Blue picked up the pace too much for her liking; I imagine the stirrups were moving against her sides..

Also, I surprised myself by actually sitting on her back (without a saddle, while she was tied up). She didn't move a muscle or act as though it bothered her at all.

On the down-side, I tried lunge-lining her; but since I really don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, the attempt was a miserable failure. I decided I'd forget about that until somebody is here to actually show me what to do.

2 comments:

  1. wow donna, she's come a long way in a short time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by lung-lining, where you trying to 'drive' her using two long lines, or where you trying to get her to go in a circle around you?? If it was trying to get her to go in a circle around you, don't be to surprised that she didn't seem to get it at first. Remember, she has always been taught that when she has a halter and rope she is supposed to stay close to you, now you are asking her to move away from you.... Lots of horses have trouble with that concept at first. Start by getting her to go in small circles around you and then pushing her out.... The easiest is if you have a round pen and can teach her to 'free lunge', but that isn't always an option. Oh, and once you get her to do it going one direction you get the fun of trying to teach her to go the other way... it's like starting all over LOL!

    Libby is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!