Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Day ride

There is a tradition amongst bikers to ride on New Year's Day, no matter what the weather. This supposedly assures that you will ride safely and free from accidents throughout the coming year.

Well, I'm not superstitious, and I believe God is in control of these things anyway. It only got up to 40 degrees today, and I'm just getting over a cold that settled in my bronchial tubes. I don't care to make a popsickle of myself on a motorcycle. (I don't eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, either.)

I did, however, do some horseback riding. I ponied Libby for over an hour while riding Blue. There wasn't very good footing in the pasture on hillsides, so I took them up and down our dead-end road several times, then headed onto the highway. Libby got to experience a little traffic and some dogs barking, and she handled it all quite well. There was no balking or nipping on her part either, although this was by far the longest session she's had.

I do believe she's about ready to be ponied with a saddle on her back.

Cliff spent the day working on his mower.

1 comment:

  1. With the new year is Libby officially a 2 year old? She definitely looks big enough to be. Just curious! And for you non-horsey people reading this.. All Horses turn one year older on January 1. Yep, if you have a foal born in the month of Dec it will be 1 year old on Jan 1... So, even though my new weanlings are 7 months old they are 'officially' yearlings as of today!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!