Thursday, April 21, 2022

We can't do anything about the weather

Our weather has been cold and wet, although not wet enough to give us much precipitation.  We've had several close calls with our fruit trees, but it looks like the blossoms and tiny fruits survived... so far.  I believe the freezing temps are done now.  When freeze warnings showed up, I didn't cover anything until the forecast for Tuesday, when I raked straw back over the strawberries.  There's just no easy way of covering a fruit tree, and the small frost we had Tuesday morning didn't hurt anything I have already growing except perhaps the apricots and peaches; time will tell.   

Meanwhile, we've had cold days with off-and-on sprinkles, but I think we only got about 2/10 an inch of rain all told.  Tuesday we had some errands to run, so I got brave and bought four tomato plants and set them out.

This morning it's foggy, but there are no clouds in the sky.  So I went out to the garden and took some pictures... the new header picture is one I took around 6:15 A.M.  I love walking around the garden in the early morning.

Don't worry about all the grass inside the fence; Cliff intends to mow it.

I went to both of my church services on Easter Sunday.  The Methodist preacher had asked me to sing something for Easter, so I told the Baptist preacher I'd have my guitar with me if he wanted me to sing there, too.  I sang the same song at both churches:  "When He Was on the Cross, I Was on His Mind".  It was well received by both congregations.

We didn't have a big Easter gathering, so Cliff and I had beans and cornbread.  Except for my attendance at the two churches, it was just another day, and that's fine.

I'm very happy to see an uncloudy day!  I intend to take a nice slow walk later.  

Peace.   

7 comments:

  1. The garden dirt looks black and rich. I’m going to search for your song and listen to it on you tube. I’m glad you shared your song Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not recorded myself singing the song, but you'll find it there by several people. I like it as sung by Jason Crabb; I didn't sing it that slow, though.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks ready, Donna!! I can only imagine how beautiful it will be round about the first week in August, with all its bounty. And the foggy pictures are gorgeous... such a beautiful time of the morning. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new header! What a mystical shot. Our weather seems unseasonably cold but looking back at my Facebook memories, the temperatures and conditions are wide ranging this time of year. My memory is just faulty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have given up gardening for the time being. I cannot convince my husband to come up with something that would work for two unhealthy people who can't bend over well (raised beds or something). Maybe after he has his hip replacement this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine I've planted too much to keep up with, since my knees are hurting worse lately. I quit canning a few years ago, so at least I don't have that to do.

      Delete
  5. We have a few peas planted and quite a bit more started in the greenhouse. I was hoping to have a big planting this weekend but the forecast is calling for rain through the weekend. It sounds like maybe later next week the stars will align. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!