Friday, April 15, 2022

Good Friday

As you may remember, I planted potatoes on St. Patrick's Day.  However, I bought some Yukon Gold seed potatoes to plant on Good Friday, since that's the day Daddy preferred.  My other potatoes haven't come up yet, but I expect to see them any time now, shoving through the top of the soil.  I had already tilled  the soil for the potatoes yesterday, so Gabe, Blue, and I went to the garden at 6:45 A.M.  All I had to do was make a row with the hoe and plant them, so it was a quick, easy task.

Later I decided to prepare a place for the sweet potatoes when they arrive; now that was work!  I tilled through the soil a couple times, then came the raking.  Here's how the Tater Man says to do it: 

(1)Till the soil deep in Spring 2-3 wks before planting; (2) Per 25 ft. row: mix together & till in row 3 lbs. of 8-8-8 fertilizer. (3) Make Bedded rows approx. 36”-42” apart. Bed rows should be 8-10 inches high & 12-14 inches wide & flat on top.

I skip the fertilizer.  But raking all that dirt up wore me out!  I'm glad I only ordered twelve plants.  I still have to get the level top wider than it is, but I'll rest before I do that.  I've only planted sweet potatoes once, a few years ago, but they were a huge success.

The Yukon Gold potatoes are planted on the left side of the picture.  The sweet potatoes will be where the string is.  The rest of the garden space on the right side, what's left of it, is for tomatoes, and then my garden will be filled up for awhile.  However, the radishes will come out quickly once they're ready, and then I'll plant green beans or corn there, and okra.  The peas will also be done early and make room for later crops.

All the vegetables in the rows in this picture have come up, although the carrots still haven't all appeared.  Carrots take three or four weeks to germinate, especially when we've had so many days with cold temperatures.

As usual, I planted the radishes seeds too close.

I'm anxiously looking forward to some strawberries from these plants.

Yesterday when I walked, I saw happy little flowers beneath my feed, and the grandson found some tiny little gray mushrooms in the woods, too small to pick.


I've always loved dandelions

Violets.  Sorta blurred; it was windy yesterday.

I'm having a happy day.  I hope my readers are, also.


 



8 comments:

  1. You are always happiest when you're out in nature. I don't understand why dandelions get such a bad rap. I think they're pretty and cheerful...unless they're in my lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought violets and dandelions make a beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year was the first time I have ever planted sweet potatoes and we just dug a small hole in the ground and popped them in. We didn't have a very big crop though. The next time we plant some, I'll have to give this method a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a google search and noticed there are several ways to plant the sweet potato sets, including the way you did it. I just decided to do it this way the first time, and it turned out great. I ended up with a wheelbarrow full of big sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  4. We used to get sweet potato slips from Tater Man. I never did very well with them. I love sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the soil in Arkansas. We have sandy soil, which is perfect for sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  5. Our apartment's lawn has plenty of dandelions. Please let me know where to send them. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the country, we don't worry much about our yard. In fact, where our mobile home now sits used to be part of our cow pasture We don't rake leaves, either. We just let them blow away when the winds come.

      Delete

I love comments!