Monday, April 11, 2022

Good morning

I'm just fine, thank you very much.  One friend emailed me a couple of days ago saying she was tired of "pancakes" (my last entry) and wanted me to sing a song.  I'm not in the notion of putting myself on the Internet today singing, but I am ready to summon my muse and come up with some sort of drivel for you all.  I haven't blogged for several days because of my impatience with Mother Nature; my garden is fine, but all the little plants that were showing above ground had to pause in their growth because of cold weather last week.  One cold front followed another.  We got some wonderful rainfall in the process, but it wasn't fun having to put on my winter coat and go outside to see a garden that didn't make any changes from one day to the next.  My main focus is on the garden in spring, so to pass the idle time, I kept my nose in various books and did very little but read for a few days.  The last two days were lovely, so I decided to take a risk and plant small amounts of corn and green beans... so I'm back!  

We did have a day last week that was nice enough to fence the garden to keep racoons, dogs, and opossums away from my vegetables and strawberries later on.  The fence is a story in itself, but one I'd rather not describe at the present time (of course, I went ahead and told the story anyway; see below).  It isn't a pretty fence, because we didn't want to spend money to protect a garden I may not be using very long.  Cliff is the greatest at using what he already has to make do, and he got the job done.  

Later on, when I'm showing you pictures of the garden, you will see that our fence is not a thing of beauty.  In fact, it could almost be a joke about crazy things rednecks do, like using duct tape and cardboard, for instance, to replace a broken window in the door of a car... not that we've ever gone that far.  I do recall the time my husband put a rusty door lock on my old clothes dryer, though, when it wouldn't stay shut.  Hey, it was all we had, and it worked for years!

No blood was shed in the garden, but when Cliff and I work together there is always some yelling.  I am not good at fence-building and other construction-type projects: moves that are obvious to my husband are oblivious to me.  I knew, going into it, that things would get noisy with our fencing project.  It's all just noise, and after fifty-five years living with a man, you come to the realization that it's only temporary, you won't get hit, and once the project is finished, love reigns.  I've heard the wind blow before!  

Also, these are times that give my husband new stories to spin for the amusement of relatives, and I, the butt of his jokes, laugh right along with them.  The funniest thing so far was that the grandson's significant other came around the the back of the house while Cliff was being loud, and she was shocked!  We didn't know she was even there until after she had turned and hurried away.  Yesterday I breached the subject with her, and we all had a good laugh; the grandson, of course, knows his grandpa is harmless and wouldn't hurt a flea (he's probably been yelled at a few times himself), but his girl friend thought the end of the world had come!   

How's that for a very honest story from two old relics?  And I didn't even think I was going to write about that.  

I'll be back in my garden again, with an attempt at growing some herbs in an old tractor tire full of dirt.  

Peace.

I am happy to tell you that Cliff got up, read this post, and didn't take offense at all.  That's how easy-going he really is.

7 comments:

  1. Seems like when we get the plants in the ground, it turns cold and windy. Lord is letting us grow patience. I don’t really miss the garden, as it was often just a heartbreaker. The worst culprit for me were the white tail deer. I still can’t enjoy seeing them. I think back to how they ate rows of purple hulled peas in one visit.
    A fence that works, is a good one. The last fence larry put up was an electric one. The white tailed monsters could even get by it. Now, I am left with huge posts to mow around. I got Logan to pull one up yesterday. Larry had it at least 3 feet in the ground. I am glad you are staying busy. I end up sitting half the day. The other half I eat. I dreaming of healthier habits….just dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason deer have never bothered my garden is that our garden is so close to the house, barn, and garage, and there are always people around.

      Delete
  2. We finally got some peas planted in the top part of our garden which was the only small part that was dry enough to till. I'm afraid that we are having a repeat of last year and it will be cold and wet until it is hot and dry. Our cool weather crops were a complete failure last year for the most part.

    We did install a permanent fence around three sides of our garden to keep all the critters out and just have a netting fence on the open side. But it has blown down several times in high winds to I'm thinking about reinforcing it or making it permanent like the rest. The only reason we left it open was so we can get bigger equipment in if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our soil is very sandy. Too sandy, really. That's why I've decided to gradually put compost in it. Things grow well in it, but it dries very quickly, so three days after a rain, I can till it and plant things. However, it it gets "droughty", I have to get out the soaker hose before long.

      Delete
  3. I was going to plant some bedding plants but the woman at the nursery talked me out of it. She reminded me we have had snow at Easter before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gotten very cold here too and there has even been snow in southern WA. Ugh. My poor tulips. I am loud too and it can be scary if people don't know my overly dramatic nature. LOL By the way, I evidently already have feedly although I don't know how!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to like Feedly just fine. I don't think your tulips will be hurt at all. Have you ever lost tulips because of cold weather? I've had hard freezes when I used to have tulips, and it didn't bother them at all.

      Delete

I love comments!