Monday, May 04, 2020

We're having a rainstorm

Yes, there's rain falling and wind blowing outside as I write this.  The lights are flickering a little, but so far no outage.  As for the rain, I'm happy to see it; we've been very dry.  You can water a garden all you like, but it isn't the same as a good rain.  We live in a trailer house, so I could do without the wind.

I have never had such a longing for a road trip!  But really, what destination would you choose during a pandemic?  Where would you go?  If we were going to be gone for more that 18 hours, we'd have to stay in a hotel.  Would that be safe?  Anyplace I might want to visit, there are people who might give me the plague.  

I get confused about who to believe anyhow.  At least half the folks I see on Facebook make fun of the "sheep" who allow the government to tell them what they can and cannot do, and those folks are really rude about it.  Fifteen times a day I start hoping, for a split second, that they all catch the virus, then I immediately repent and apologize to God and ask Him to help me not be so childish.  But who do they think they are, to think they know better than doctors and scientists what people ought to do?  I don't like being called names.  I don't care what they do, but I don't like being made fun of for doing what is supposed to be the right thing.  I think our president has set an example that makes it ok for people to call names and throw stones at everybody.  

OK, I vented; now I feel better.  I'll probably kick myself later for having an opinion, return to my blog, and delete that last paragraph.

Cliff happened to stumble across a chart on Facebook showing which stores have special hours for seniors during the coronavirus scare, and he read off some of the stores' names to me.  I told him I knew about that, but I didn't want to make him get up at 6 AM just to go to Costco; he said that wouldn't be a problem.  So this morning I said, "Tuesday is one of the days Costco opens for seniors; I think we'll go there tomorrow."

"What are you going to get?" he asked me.

Try as I might, I couldn't think of one item we needed from Costco, or anywhere else, really.  So I guess I'll wait until we actually NEED to go.  See?  I want to go someplace, but don't have anywhere to go while all the interesting activities are on pause.  This would be a wonderful time to have a cabin at the lake.  I won't even mention the places one could go in a camper, because finally, once and for all, I realize a camper is not going to be part of our lives.  Cliff isn't up to messing with it, and honestly, it isn't fun for me any more either.  Memories of camping are pleasant, but the memories come from a time when I wasn't this old, sore, and tired.  

Honestly, I like our little routines around here.  There are certain shows we watch together at certain times of the day; we both have books to read... life goes on.  The weather has been beautiful for my daily walks.  I'm glad I walked early today, because now it's probably wet and muddy out there  When we ate dinner at noon, we watched our recorded episode of "Call the Midwife".  We still have two more seasons of West Wing to watch, and I dread thinking about how I'll miss it when we've seen it all for the second time.  Last Saturday night our local Fox TV station showed the Super Bowl over again, so we enjoyed re-watching our team win.

One change I made over the weekend:  I told some of our immediate family they can come in the house to visit.  Our daughter is working from home.  The grandson and son-in-law go to work every day, but the place they both work keeps a close eye on things.  They take their temperatures each day when they arrive; anyone with a fever gets two weeks off with pay.  One fellow called in to say his wife had a fever and gets to stay home with pay.  Unless you have plenty to keep you busy at home, though, it's a lousy time for a paid vacation when there's nowhere to go.

This entry is short and sweet (or maybe sour?) but it's all I have.  I'll try to get an actual subject next time, and try to stay out of politics.  

God bless you, every one.  By the way, the rain is over now, the sky is clearing, and we have a little over 1/2 inch of rain in the gauge.  That'll make the seeds come up.

I'll leave you with a video I made of the chicks playing outside; after watching it, you can decide if I should trust Gabe with them.  I think you'll come to the same conclusion I did.

8 comments:

  1. One of my friends on FB is opposite from those you named. One day we had a huge jump in our number of cases in AR and you could tell she was happy all those folks were sick. I thought that is really sad wanting to be right so badly you are happy lots are sick. It turned out the big jump came from the prison at Cummings, AR. Closeness is the key to the spread. I agree that we can’t stay under a rock forever. Oh, what to do. I like what Martin Luther said 500 years ago.

    “I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your take on politics, and have been ranting too much about it on my own blog. I need to step back a bit. I WANT to get out and yet when I do, I'm anxious and don't enjoy it. I hope that someday I'll be able to relax about going to the store, a restaurant, etc. Our weather is getting nicer and I want plants, but don't feel comfortable going anywhere to get them. I wonder if they deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't trust Gabe with those chicks either. They would make him a quick snack.

    I agree with your take on politics too. Our president is a pathological liar as well as a sexual predator. I don't trust him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say if God could/would interfere in our world, there would have been no holocaust, or any pandemics or any other catastrophes. God expects us to use our God given brains and listen for his still small voice to help us run our own world. God tries to persuade us and does not try to coerce us.

    That's my best common sense process theology belief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are crazy if they think they are immune to this virus. I'm still keeping safe at home for awhile. No since in taking unnes=cccary chances as far as I can sse. My daughter went to their camper this weekend that parked in a permanent space and said how nice it was to see something different. Bu no visitors are allowed. Like you I used to love camping but now like the comforts of home more. We will probably have your rain here tomorrow. the last of my huge puddles just dried out from the last rain and I was hoping to be able to mow the grass, but looks like that i s not meant to be just yet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel very much the same way you do. When I read that people like myself and others who are following rules, wearing masks, not being in groups, etc, are being belittled and called names like scaredy cats, sheeple, etc.it does make me angry. I used to have brief thoughts hoping that they would succumb to the virus, but I worry so much for the medical workers who must deal with them, (my daughter is a nurse), that then I very quickly try to take my evil thoughts back, and pray that God will watch over all of us. If I read the name calling on a blog and the blogger is name calling, I just quit reading their blog.

    Now here is a little thought that I have had--Maybe the protesters are all working on their "turd" immunity as they stand side by side, no masks, seemingly with no awareness or concern that Covid 19 is a dangerous disease and the turd next to them might have the virus and pass it on to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems like everyone is venting these days. we have bad examples of what not to do everywhere we turn, but especially from the top. i don't wish harm on anybody, but with some demanding we do this or that or else, as they brandish guns and nooses, i've had enough of the bull. home is where i'm safe. covid19 is a killer. one day you're fine. the next day you are dead. can't trust going back out there just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the chicks, especially the greedy one. Gabe probably wants the bread with his chicken. Going out isn’t currently on my radar. I’m trying hard not to get into politics. Best to pray.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!