Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Stone walls do not a prison make

First of all, I have a confession to make:  I am enjoying this pandemic.  I didn't realize it until this morning, when I got out of bed and immediately turned the TV to CNN, then to Fox for awhile, then back to CNN.  For once, they are all saying the same thing.  But yes, I'm getting a charge out of the stuff going on in the world.  People getting sick isn't funny, but we are going through a unique experience here that fascinates me on some level.  It's probably the same sort of mindset that makes people slow down and try to look at a horrible, bloody accident, even while knowing they might regret it.  I used to laugh at my mom for this sort of behavior.  Whenever there was a bombing or tornado or hurricane, she'd be glued to the news channels for days.  I never understood it, but here I am doing the same thing.

We have been eating quite well.  Today Cliff and I ate the last two pieces of apple pie from Sunday after polishing off the noodles and mashed potatoes I warmed up, but I had to mash more potatoes for tomorrow, because I need four cups for a shepherd's pie I found on allrecipes.  Years ago I tried a recipe for shepherd's pie and wasn't impressed, but I found this highly rated recipe and decided to try once more.  It only has five ingredients, which makes me rather leery, but I have a pound of left-over roast and plenty of mashed potatoes (now).  It calls for beef gravy; I didn't make gravy Sunday from the roast beef I cooked in the Instant Pot because we put noodles on our potatoes in this family.  However, I saved all the liquid from the Instant Pot, poured it into a pint jar, and stuck the jar in the freezer, not knowing I'd be using it in two days.  A little cornstarch will turn it into delicious gravy.  I'm really hoping this simple recipe is as good as the reviews say.  I'll read more reviews, because sometimes people will make additions or change the recipe in some way and say that makes it better.  I might use a suggestion or two.

We are supposed to have rain Wednesday and Thursday.  Today is cloudy with no rain.  I made sure Gabe and I got our walk in, knowing we might not be able to walk tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Cliff's payday, so I suppose we'll go to the bank, since we're both getting low on cash.  I was planning on finding a store that hasn't been stripped to the walls by hoarders once we got our cash, but my daughter just messaged me.  Her husband stopped by a store, so she asked what we needed.  I told her I didn't NEED anything, but... well we were pretty low on Miracle Whip and Ketchup, and Cliff would really be depressed if we didn't have those two items in the house.  I have been wanting a bag of tortilla chips;  I made hummus the other day and really enjoyed it, but it's no use to make hummus if I don't have chips.  AND I wanted sour cream so I could make enchiladas.

When I go for my walk, a song will often come to mind, and sometimes I'll sing as I walk.  Today I thought of a song I haven't sung or heard in awhile and got ready to sing it, but then thought I'd record it.  The singing is unremarkable:  I was walking, so every time I set my foot down it made my voice shake; and I was breathing pretty hard, so it might remind you of an obscene phone call.  I really don't know why I'd share it, but the words are uplifting, even though I got one or two of them wrong.  If you want to hear what it really should sound like, go to Youtube and do a search for "Thank You Lord for Your Blessings on Me" by the Easter brothers.


7 comments:

  1. I'm too social to enjoy this pandemic and staying home, away from people. It might help if someone lived with me besides the cat! Seeing what it's doing as it takes hold and spreads is terrifying to me. I hope we don't get to the stage of Italy. I don't keep enough food around the house for a total shelter in place, so I would starve. (or eat Mari's cat food)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the song I enjoyed it, I do miss your jersey cows
    but I understand why you don't have them anymore.
    as I said in the past comment I am getting used to
    giving up the past no garden, keep up the good work.
    Don. Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the video of your walk. such solace would be a godsend. gabe looks very enthusiastic. a breath of fresh air would do us all some good. we are definitely in trying times. it is stressful to be sure, especially seeing all those empty shelves in the store and no toilet paper to wipe your rear. my youngest and oldest daughters work in hospital and a lab. say it's very serious. my youngest has symptoms. she's been exposed to virus from three seperate sources, one being her own doctor. my daughter is waiting for test kits to come into her area. she went into meltdown mode yesterday. i tried to calm her fears as best as i could. she has respiratory problems as it is and an autoimmune disease like me so i don't know what will happen. like you i'm glued to the tv channel surfing. or watching Ancient Aliens and shows from the 50's & 60's. take care. we're all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna - thanks for taking us along on your walk and singing the lovely song. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:02 AM

    Dee from Tennessee


    Oh I dearly love to hear you sing ! We are so blessed in the valleys as well as the mountaintops . I love that song ; I think Gerald Crabb of the Crabb family wrote it . One of my many faves ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand why you are saying, many can't stay away from he news no matter how bad it is. For me though, I feel half sick by the time the news is over, so I've been avoiding it most of the time. I figure once a day is enough to keep me informed. A breath of fresh aid a walk would do us all some good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the song. I've never heard it before. You did a great job singing while walking. I too am glued to the news and internet to see the latest. I am a daycare provider so MN is encouraging us to stay open for Law Enforcement, Nursing, Emt etc but I still have all my regular kids too not just my nurses and LEO's. I will keep on til they make us close or if I get sick. I pray many times a day for protection from this virus. It's nasty and I am glad we are taking it serious and trying to "flatten the curve". There are so many compromised people that could really take a bad hit from. Scary! Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!