Tuesday, March 24, 2020

In which I sing a home-made song

There is a talented local fellow named Jim who posts videos of himself singing and playing guitar on Facebook, once in awhile.  I suggested to him a couple of days ago that this would be a good time to post a song or two, since the world is in a panic about Covid 19.  Songs help lift the spirits, you know?  

He sort of challenged me to do the same.  

So, because of these unique times we are going through now, I decided to make a video.  I don't care for my own singing voice, by the way.  And I hate that I really don't "play" the guitar so much as just beat on it, simply because I'm too lazy to practice and get better (unlike my aforementioned friend, who retired and not only plays guitar well, but is now learning to play the violin)   But desperate times call for desperate measures, right?  So I settled on a song I wrote in 1979 when I had a job at Harmon Industries and two kids at home, aged 10 and 12.  I named it "Working Girl Blues".  It's humorous, and I figured even though I'm not great at singing or playing guitar, at least I can write a song... so maybe someone will consider that.

First of all, I couldn't find my camera tripod; Cliff and I fixed the problem by getting a TV tray and setting the camera on that.  I went through the song twice (I probably haven't sung it a dozen times since 1979) and decided to jump on in and record it.  This is where it started to go wrong, because Alexa (the Amazon Echo) decided to make herself famous:  Cliff likes his Diet Coke really cold, so he will take a can from the refrigerator and put it in the freezer, then tell Alexa, "Give me a 20 minute timer."  Today we both forgot he'd set the timer. 

Then there were the boo-boos.  At one point I actually hit the wrong chord and just went ahead anyhow.  I sort of stalled on some words I'd forgotten... and went ahead anyhow.  When we were done, Cliff turned off the camera and asked if I wanted to do it over.  "No," I told him.  "With all those mess-ups, at least maybe they'll get a laugh out of it."

I think the words are clear, but of course I am familiar with them, so perhaps to someone hearing it for the first time, they aren't so clear.  I'm putting the words beneath the video so you can read along as I sing.  In fact, my intention was to record it again today or tomorrow and do another entry without the bloopers.  But you know what?  I wouldn't sound a bit better if I did that! And I thought you might get a bang out of two old folks trying to maintain their sanity while making a video during a lockdown and failing miserably.  

 

There was I time I wouldn't put songs I've written on the Internet for fear someone might steal them, since most of them aren't copyrighted.  But I'm going on 76 years old and can't possibly have many years left, so if they steal my song, big deal.  At least someone will hear them, whether they know who really wrote it or not.


WORKING GIRL BLUES
written, and unfortunately sung by, Donna Wood

I'm a factory worker, a mother and wife,
And girls, let me tell you, it's no easy life.
There's dusting and cleaning and cooking and chores
All waiting for me when I get home at four.
The dishes are dirty, the house is a mess;
I'll give the kids Hamburger Helper, I guess.
No rest for the weary, I'm paying my dues:
That's how you sing those old working girl blues.

My husband's been telling me I'm getting old:
What I'm getting is TIRED, if the whole truth were told.
Our love life has suffered, but hope is in sight,
Cause we'll get together on Saturday night.
The oven needs cleaning, there's mud on the floor;
I guess I'll bake a pizza I bought at the store.
Everyone's hungry, there's no time to lose!
That's what you get with the working girl blues.

I'm happy on Friday when I get my pay.
I can help pay the bills in my own little way.
But the factory is paying for the best part of me,
And my family gets what's left over, for free!
There's trash that needs burning, there's clothes on the line.
They could hang there forever, it'd suit me just fine.
I'll throw on some hot dogs and turn on the news
And try to forget these old working girl blues.

It's not so bad working and I'm not above it,
But sometimes I'd like to take my job and shove it.
I'll save up my money in hopes of a day
When I won't have to walk through the back door and say....
Lord, this house is a mess, and the floors are a sight!
And I wonder what I'll fix for supper tonight.
But my boy needs Levis, my daughter needs shoes,
So I guess I'll keep singing these working girl blues.

8 comments:

  1. Donna, I love your song! So many Mothers out there can relate. You play and sing so good! Y’all be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it’s great to have a friend/acquaintance across this vast land that can make me 😀 smile and laugh out loud. I enjoyed that so much. Brings back memories of our early years, trying to work and take care of a house and family.
    Here I am, now older and the kids are grown. Nobody ever said, I had to be perfect, but I tried. Great job, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna. Thanks Jim for prodding her a wee bit. You both are so talented. Please consider more. Stay safe and prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Have you ever thought of performing in public? I think people would love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well, Donna! I think your song is one many of us could have used back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Wow! that is great. You are talented. I wish i could sing and play the guitar. What fun during this quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best thing I have seen on the internet is a long long time!!! I truly enjoyed it! Please do it again‼️

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!