Saturday, March 09, 2019

Books (because it's all I've got)

After all, my main hobby this winter has been reading.  So when I have nothing else to write about, that's the subject I grab.  

I read several great books in a row a while back, but of course that can't go on forever.  I've lately started reading some real clunkers, only to return them after a chapter or two.  This is partially due to February being Black History Month.  On the library's home page, various current books by black authors were displayed and recommended.  After reading "The Sun Does Shine", I was ready for more black authors, so I selected a couple of those displayed and soon returned them:  One was "Cherry", and I don't recall the other; it was centered too much on drugs and "hood behavior", with no real solution.  There was a third book that I felt was well-written, but not a subject I wanted to read a whole book about:  "Ali:  A Life".  I suggested it to Cliff, and he's enjoying it.  Also, I practically had to force him, but he finally read "The Sun Does Shine" and admitted that, to his surprise, he liked that one too.  Do you wonder how I could force him to read it?  Well, he hasn't learned how to check books out online (or doesn't want to learn).  He'd rather have me do it for him, so I give him books I'm sure he'll like.  I really ought to see if he's interested in learning how to do it himself, because the Libby app makes it incredibly easy.  But then how would I force him to read a book I know he'll like?  I also forced him to read "Population:  485", which he agreed is a great one when he after he'd finished; it was fun to hear him chuckling occasionally as he read it.  It's a true story, written mostly about volunteer fire department and the things they go through, whether funny, sad, or a little of both.  If I had a way, I'd make every one of my blog friends read some of these great books.  I put "Educated" on hold for Cliff, but it'll be a while before he gets it.  

Let me show you my list of holds, which required two screenshots.  There are ten of them:
    



Now, here's the problem with holds:  In three weeks, I'm scheduled to have four books at once show up on my Libby shelf.  We'll see how that goes; I have three weeks, once I get a book, to read it.  I may have to return one or two and start them all over on the "hold" list.  Or I might decide at least one of them isn't for me.  As you can see, the last two are obviously holdovers from Black History Month.  I would expect the Frederick Douglas book to be interesting, but I've been wrong before.  

What I'm reading now:
Kentucky Traveler by Ricky Skaggs
The Man in Back (you read it right) by Jimmy Capps
    Both of these are actual books.  Jimmy Capps even signed mine!  I bought Ricky Skaggs' book used, online, so it was a bargain.  

I read a Harlan Coben book, "Long Lost", simply because there were a lot of his available.  This was a Myron Bolitar book.  For some reason I don't relate to Myron the way I do with John Sandford's characters; maybe it's because of Myron's filthy rich friend, Win, who always comes to his aid.  See, I don't like Win; I appreciate how he helps keep Myron alive, but he's a little too hard-core for me, in any way whatsoever a person CAN be hard-core:  rich, horny, dangerous, wise guy.  So while I read these books to pass the time, I have to force myself a little, and I'm always switching from one to another, which is how you can tell I'm bored with what I'm reading.  None of them are great, perhaps, but they'll get me by until something better comes along.  

I'm also reading Carol Burnett's latest autobiography.  There's not much that's new here, but I like Carol, so I don't mind a book that's a little repetitive, when it makes me smile once in awhile.  

In other news, Cliff had a tractor he couldn't fix, the Oliver 550.  He thought it was ready to go.  We took it to a parade in Norborne last year where it performed admiringly for the parade.  However, once we got away from the parade route and the other tractors, Cliff speeded up and we heard the most awful, metallic, eardrum-bursting noise coming from within the guts of that tractor!  You can read about the day it happened HERE.  He's torn it apart several times and still can't figure it out, so yesterday we took it to an Oliver doctor about 100 miles south.  

This is a Google photo of Trenary Implement
Since we had decided to have a sack lunch rather than buy an expensive dinner, I elected to take Gabe along.  We seldom take him anywhere because we are usually going to be shopping or going inside to eat, and I don't want to leave him in the car alone.  Also, he used to get carsick.  For awhile it seems like he puked almost every day, here at home.  Thank goodness he outgrew that.  He was certainly excited when he found out yesterday he could go bye-bye with us.  He does a good job of staying in the back seat while we travel.  I put his bed next to a window and he spends most of his travel time napping, only getting up when we slow down for any reason, or turn corners.  In case you're wondering, I took Gabe a little snack so he could eat when we did, although he watches us eat all the time at home, knowing he won't get any of it.  It just seemed like the thing to do, take him a little dog food... and water, of course.  Water's his drink, his kind doesn't like coffee, booze, or soda.  That last line will only be fully understood by folks who have read the "Chet and Bernie" books.  I'm SO glad there's going to be a new Chet and Bernie book this summer!    

Have you had all the drivel you can stand?  I'm out of here.

Sincerely yours, 
Donna

6 comments:

  1. I **love-love-love** your posts, Donna! Please keep writing them!

    I love to read too. I'm going to get that Carol Burnett book as I'm a big fan of hers.

    I think hubby & I would read more together, as he loves to read as much as I do. But his pool cue calls his name more often than not. :-)

    Love, Andrea
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're lucky you can get cliff to read. unless it's computer related my husband doesn't. gabe sounded nice and content in the car with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your newsy Journal-like posts. Mine is kind of like a Journal too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I turn on my email and see that you have posted a new blog. I enjoy your writings and all the stories. I also love to read. I have many books on my kindle that I get for free and I love my regular books too. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the book Educated that you recommended. Hard to imagine growing up the way she did. I have seldom hated anyone in a book but I really hated her Father and brother. Some parts in the book were hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know what you think of "The Friend." I read "There, There" while on my trip to Texas and it just about killed me. Such an incredible but painful read, and I'm not sure whether to recommend it or not. I think I loved it, but I'm not even sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!