Tuesday, December 01, 2015

We've booked a trip

Next year we will have been married fifty years.  I figure that's as good an excuse as any to blow a wad of cash on a vacation.

I've wanted to see the Grand Canyon for years.  Cliff and a couple of my cousins once rode motorcycles out there, but I was left at home with my babies.  We've made partial plans to travel by automobile in the past and then cancelled.  That's a long way, and Cliff is stuck with all the driving.  He was never crazy about driving, and these days between his back and a pesky sciatic nerve that kicks in when he drives over forty-five minutes, it's really painful for him.  

Another factor causing me to spend big bucks on travel is that we are lousy vacation planners:  Not so long ago we went to Canada and really missed out on all the good stuff because we ended up wandering around like the three blind mice.  Turn us loose in Colorado and we're fine, but don't let us get out on uncharted territory.  

I have an Internet friend who travels on trains a lot, and he gave me a few tips once I started planning this adventure.  For instance, the ride from Kansas City to Williams, Arizona, lasts over twenty-four hours.  I asked him how comfortable those seats were, and he advised that for such a long trip we should probably get a cabinette, which is equipped with seats that become a bed, while overhead a bed pulls down from the wall when you're ready for sleep.  In other words, bunk beds.  I'm sure laying down for sleep will be much better than sitting in a seat for 25 hours.  There's no bathroom in the cabinette, unfortunately, and who knows how many times I'll be up during the night walking to the shared bathroom.  Oh well, I will try to restrict my fluids in the evenings when we're aboard the train.  Oh, another perk that comes with the cabinettes is that our meals are included.  

We will spend two nights in Williams and one night at the Thunderbird Motel, right on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  We will be on trains a lot, because it's going to be another train that takes us to and from the canyon.  It'll be my first real journey on a train!  

Good Lord willing, this is a done deal.  Payment has been made.  We can cancel for any reason, but only an emergency would make us cancel.

Wish us luck.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't traveled on trains, but this sounds like great fun, and just what you guys need - leave the driving to them! It should be great sightseeing from your comfy seats! I wish you well, I think it will be a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fabulous trip! I'm so glad you're doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a documentary on PBS about vacation travels on trains in the U.S.. I think you two are gonna love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you and Cliff, Donna! Walker, my 19 year old and I traveled back from San Antonio to St Louis and then on to Jefferson City. It was such an exciting adventure. The food was delicious on the train. It was so nice to be able to walk around on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to ride on a train too. It's sounds very exciting and a wonderful way to celebrate 50 years too. Nice you will finally get to go where you have wanted for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds wonderful! I was 8 years old when we took a train to Florida to visit one of my married sisters. It was great fun for an eight-year-old. I'd love to travel by train again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great trip. I haven't traveled by train, but have a friend that does all the time. She loves it and always gets the sleeper, with the meals. She says it's the best deal ever. I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip for you two! Sounds like the train is the way to go for you. I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back home :-) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful vacay is on the horizon. I've been to the Canyon, and you will be truly overwhelmed by its grandeur.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!